Chapter 8

Mikael was hesitant to step off the bus the morning after his encounter with the psycho. He never said a word to Raphael about it, and now he was kind of regretting going to school. Gram approached the shorter teen as soon as he saw him, so Mikael felt a little better after that. But he had no idea when or where the bastard would bother him. He really didn't want Gram to get hurt because of any kind of involvement.

"Nervous?"

Mikael looked up and nodded. "Yeah," he whispered. "I'm filled to the brim with anxiety. I really don't want to go in today, but I know I should face the beast."

Gram squeezed Mikael's shoulders with his right arm, then hiked his bag higher. "I'm with you."

"You really don't have to be, but thank you."

Gram laughed. "I do have to go to the same classes as you, though."

"Oh," murmured Mikael, blushing profusely. "My bad."

"Nah, I'm just teasing you. You were right to think what you did."

"Jerk," grumbled Mikael, lightly shoving him. Gram grinned and tousled his hair, which made the shorter teen pout. "Such a total jerk. I actually put effort in today."

Gram tilted Mikael's head back and tried to restyle it, which made the pair grin at each other. But their smiles fell when Gram's expression paled. Mikael turned as a shadow loomed over him.

"Aren't you two so lovey-dove?" asked the psycho, a broad grin on his face. "You're both adorable."

"Thorne," muttered Gram, so Mikael could finally put a name to a face, even if it was just a surname.

Thorne's creepy smile deepened. "Let me hear Volkov say it."

"Why?"

Faster than Gram could comprehend, Mikael had Thorne's right wrist in his corresponding fist. Thorne chuckled and wrenched his wrist free, curling down to look at Mikael in the eyes.

"I knew it. You're really interesting. It's like you know how I'm going to move before I do it."

Mikael's alarm bells were ringing louder than ever. Could he really go to his parents about Thorne? It's dangerous—too much so.

"Say it, Volkov. Say my name."

Mikael's breath caught when he noticed the intense gaze in Thorne's eyes, which had somehow changed to gold, then he grabbed Gram's wrist and yanked him away from Thorne. He dashed up the hill and practically smashed his face into the glass door. He heard Thorne's laughter as he slipped inside the building with Gram on his heels.

"Run all you like, Volkov, because you're my target now!"

The door shut behind Gram and Mikael let go of him, rubbing his hands on his triceps. It was silent in the hallway, but there were students around. However, they were watching him with pity in their eyes. Mikael knew that if Gram chose not to stick around, he'd have no allies aside from Raphael. While that was fine, he had gotten rather attached to Gram and that departure would make him sad.

"Mikael, I'm so sorry."

Mikael turned around and looked up at him. "A-are you—?" He paused, his eyes stinging. He took a deep breath in and let it out. "I guess you're not going to stick around. I've basically been thrown into the fire that Raphael has been in—the same one you warned me about."

Gram cupped Mikael's cheeks and petted his head, then hugged the shorter teen tightly. "I'm not leaving. You're my best friend. We gotta stick together." he stated plainly, then sighed softly. "But I do have a lot of questions and I think you can answer them all with one response."