Chapter 31

"Kael?"

"Yeah, Kir?"

Kirill fell silent, still watching Mikael furiously write one report after the other. The teen's wrist ached from all of the homework, but it was a relief to be home. Raphael was undoubtedly in the same position in the guest bedroom downstairs. He only spent time down there to study and then slept with Mikael at night.

"Kael?"

Mikael paused, then laid down his pencil and turned in his swivel chair to see Kirill huddled into a ball on his bed. His stepbrother hugged his knees tighter while he stared at his fuzzy-socked feet.

"What's wrong, Kir?" asked Mikael, moving to get up.

He was surprised when Kirill pushed off the bed and leapt at him like when he and Raphael first returned home a few days ago. Mikael hugged his brother's shoulders and petted the light brown hair, dipping his head down to kiss Kirill's head.

"Kael," whispered Kirill a third time, hugging Mikael so tightly the teen could imagine a cartoon character's back breaking.

"I'm here, Kir. Did you really miss my nagging that much?" Mikael was just teasing, but his eyes widened when no response came back to refute his playful question. "Wait, really?"

"I know you nag and mother me because you're worried about me, Kael. And I know I haven't been the best brother ever, but I want you to know that I really did miss you."

The backs of Mikael's eyes burned, then his eyes filled with tears. "I missed you too, bud."

Kirill rubbed his face on Mikael's chest and rested his chin on the teen's shoulder. He sank into the firm hug and slowly exhaled. Mikael gently tousled Kirill's light brown hair, giving his little brother a soft smooch on his head. Mikael closed his eyes and slowly rocked each other side to side, so Kirill relaxed even more.

"Thank you for opening up to me, Kir."

Kirill hugged Mikael even tighter and snuggled closer. "You're welcome."

Mikael chuckled, thumbing Kirill's left temple. "I heard from Papa about your last checkup. It showed that your health has really improved."

"So what?"

"That means you can go out and do more."

Kirill tensed, peeking up at arctic-blue eyes. "R-really?"

"Yeah, although it will be a slow reintroduction to get your immune system working properly around other people outside of our family."

Mikael smiled and then laughed when his brother started to jump around with a bright grin. Kirill cheered and bounced in place, then leapt for Mikael's bed again. The teen sat down next to his brother and chuckled when Kirill grabbed his waist.

"Happy?" asked Mikael, using a blatant teasing tone.

His brother beamed. "Very, Kael."

"Good," murmured Mikael, closing his eyes and sighing. "Has Raphael figured it out yet?"

Kirill's smirk grew. "I don't think so," he whispered. "I think he knows something is going on, though. He's incredibly perceptive even when I don't say anything."

Mikael laughed. That was true, mostly because his boyfriend could sense emotions. But Raphael could get a read on Mikael solely from his facial expressions, so the latter really had to work to keep a straight face that day after proposing a surprise party to his family and friends. Hopefully, Raphael would be none the wiser until his birthday a week away. But Mikael had a feeling that his boyfriend would most likely figure it out fairly soon.