IX. Not so Good First Impressions

"Get ready, babe, because there's nothing to prepare you for a bachonal and what happens on Mount Olympus."
——————————-——————————-

The roaring laughter of gods and goddesses echoes across the sky and off the cloud pillars. 

Instead of walking to where the rest of the gods are, Persephone transported Hades and me to the outskirts of their party room with her magic.  Behind an immense pillar, we hide out of sight of the partying gods.

I tilt my head slightly confused, questioning why we aren't just going into the area with the rest of the gods. Then again, it's a good thing we aren't waltzing in. My anxiety is more electrical and unpredictable than Zeus' lightning bolts.

My heart beats wildly in my rib cage. Now that I'm here at the party all my confidence has poofed away. I've only ever been to small mermaid parties and that's only been a few times decades ago. Currently, I'm at a raging immortal party. I scold myself internally. 'What was I thinking for coming here.'

A light squeeze from my hand interrupts my racing thoughts. I look down at my hand to see Hades giving my hand a comforting squeeze before he removes his hand from mine. The lord of the underworld gazes into my eyes.

"Some advice babe, stick with me, don't drink too much punch especially if Dionysus got to the punch bowl, and don't give the hoity-toity gods anything to make fun of. Other than that you should be fine."

"Thanks, Hades."

The blue god sighs, tearing his eyes from mine.

"Listen if I'm being a little honest, which, don't tell anyone I ever said this, but my nerves get fried too. Especially when it comes to family affairs."

A smile graces my lips, knowing Hades trusts me enough to be vulnerable with me. I rub his shoulder, attempting to comfort him.

"I know it's hard being different, Hades. I'm different too  in a sense."

I pause Remembering all the times I was ridiculed in the underworld by the other underworld sirens. How they thought it was silly and futile of me to want more in life than relishing in the underworld and eating the occasional alive hero stupid enough to come down to hell. I shake my head to get rid of the memories and refocus on Hades.

"But just because you're different doesn't make you any less. If anything, being different just makes you more you."

Hades exhales.

"And you're a great person Hades. You get heated at times but still your a good person."

"You're something to believe I'm a good person."

I sigh.

"I have hope that this rise of confidence you play will one day turn into real confidence for you."

Hades glances at me with eyes of gratitude. "As I said, you are something, little fishy."

A smirk appears on my lips. "I know."

Suddenly from behind the pillar, a shrill crash of glasses smashing sounds, jolting my attention back to the present moment, and the party.

Hades chuckles, "Seems like the wine is already out for the taking. Perfect."

I playfully roll my eyes at Hades.

Before I can open my mouth to retort, Persephone comes from back around the pillar from the party. Of course a smile on her face. 

"Anytime you two are ready you can come out." She turns to me with glittering eyes, "Everyone is wanting to meet you, (Y/N)."

Hades grumbles,