X. She's Planning Something Big

Hades whispers in my ear, "We need to talk."
—————————-—————————-—————————-

A large marble fireplace crackles. The orange flames dance across the chamber walls in warm light and dark shadows. The only light besides the fireplace is the orange and yellow flames burning atop Hades' scalp. Both of our eyes glow like a cat's eyes.

We're alone.

The lord of death has released me from his grip, and now we stand a few feet apart from one another.

Like wolves hesitant to howl, Hades and I stare at each other. It's as if a single voice could break Mount Olympus.

Yet, I'm the daring one to be the first to break the silence.

"Why are you mad?" I implore to the blue god?

Hades grumbles, a habit of his.

"Do you want me to transport you back to the underworld?" He suddenly asks without acknowledging my question.

I'm taken back. Hades had already admitted he was slightly embarrassed by what happened, but I didn't think he would want me to leave Olympus.

My stomach squirms, and my fists clench harder.

"Why?" I exclaim. "Because I embarrassed you?"

"No."

A name rings in my head; Persephone.

"Because she is here."

Hades turns around, bares his teeth, and sharply points to the door.

"Because of how they treated you!" he shouts, his flames igniting.

I take a step back. Hades is like a wounded animal right now. He is hurt and vulnerable, but why is the question.

"Don't yell at me!" I fire back.

"Sorry." Hades whispers. He moves his hand to calm heads flames. "I'm trying to maintain my temper, (Y/N), I really am."

Having Hades be concerned about me makes my insides squirm, but still, my gut tells me there's more than the god is letting on about his emotions.

There's another standoff of quiet.

"Are you upset because the gods laughed at me?"

Hades shuffles on the spot.

"That's the majority of it. I hated watching them laugh at you; seeing the color drain from your complexion."

"Why did you glare at me then?" Hades keeps quiet.

"Hades?" 

"Yes?"

"I know you more than I should for us only having been acquainted for a few days."

"I won't deny that," Hades replies. His golden orbs gaze into my eyes with a mixture of emotions.

"Then tell me, why did you glare at me and what else is bothering you?"

The lord of death approaches me as I swallow a lump in my throat.

Hades stops right in front of me, his eyes looking away from my face.

"I know it wasn't your fault, but I don't want to just blame Persephone."

He's referring to the fiasco with the shoes. I try to interject, but Hades interrupts me.

"That's why I glared. I was upset, but not after having a chance to calm myself. " Hades takes my hand in his. A tingle runs up my spine at his touch. The lord of death continues speaking.