Ballad

"Ballad," said Mr. Schue as he wrote the word on the board. "From Middle English 'balade.' Who knows what that means?"

"It's a male duck," said Brittany, getting a chuckle out of Juniper.

Mr. Schue gave her a weird look and called on Kurt.

"A ballad is a love song," he said.

"Sometimes," replied Mr. Schue. "But they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music which is why they're the perfect form of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Sectionals are in a few weeks. And there's a new rule this year. We have to perform a ballad."

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off," said Rachel with a huge smile.

"Okay, so here's our assignment for the week. I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

"I pick Quinn," said Finn.

"No, no, no, no, no. Too easy," said Mr. Schue. "Your partners will be chosen by fate. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

"But there's an uneven amount of people in the class," said Juniper.

"Um, I guess I'll just have to put my name in the hat for now," said Mr. Schue.

"That's creepy," Tina whispered to Juniper, who nodded in agreement.

One by one, people went up to draw a name from the hat. When it was Santana's turn, the disappointed look on her face made it obvious – at least to Juniper – who she got.

"Juniper," said Santana, rolling her eyes as she read the name off of the paper. "Mr. Schue, can't I pick someone else?"

"The fates have spoken, Santana," said Mr. Schue. "Nothing I can do about it."

"I'll pray for you, Juni," Artie whispered to the brunette, who sank down further into her chair.

****

After school Juniper went over to Santana's house to work on their ballad. They'd been brainstorming songs for over an hour, and both were beginning to get frustrated that they couldn't agree on one.

"We're not singing a song about being a suicidal teenager!" snapped Santana.

"That's not even what that song is about!" shouted Juniper. "God, educate yourself!"

"I don't take orders from anyone, especially not a depressed foster kid who's probably abusing drugs and alcohol to cope with the fact that nobody's ever gonna love her!"

"The only thing I'll be abusing is your face!"

"I'm from Lima Heights," scoffed the Latina. "Do you really think I'm afraid of you?"

"Ask me that after I kick your ass," said Juniper.

"I'd like to see you try."

Juniper raised her hand to slap her, but Santana grabbed her wrist before it could hit her face, gripping it tightly. A smirk grew across the Latina's face when she saw the younger girl wincing in pain, struggling to free her hand.

"Let me go!" yelled Juniper.

"Not so tough now, huh?" asked Santana, cockily raising a brow.

"I'm serious, Santana!"

The raven haired girl let go and Juniper rubbed her sore wrist.

"You're such a bitch," she said.

"Whatever," said Santana. "Let's just get this stupid assignment done so you can get the fuck out of my house."