Journey To Regionals

"Nobody wants any pizza?" Mr. Schue asked.

No answer.

"Alright, well, let's get started. Thank you for coming to the 1st annual New Directions regionals set-list nominations party."

"Can't he tell we're not in the mood?" Juniper whispered to Tina.

"What's the point Mr. Schue?" asked Artie. "Coach Sylvester is one of the judges. She's gonna crush us."

"Artie, you don't know that."

"Yes, we do," said Santana. "She told us at Cheerios practice."

"Yeah," said Brittany, sadly. "She said, 'I'm going to crush Glee Club.'"

"The whole freaking year. All that hard work for nothing," complained Puck.

Tina started crying and Juniper put a comforting arm around her friend.

"Sorry," said Tina between sobs. "I just really love you guys. Rachel was right. Being part of something special... it made me special. I just can't believe it's going to be over in a week."

"Wait, who says it's gonna be over?" asked Finn.

"Please," said Mercedes. "You think Puck and Santana are even gonna acknowledge my existence once we're not in Glee Club together anymore?"

"She has a point," Puck agreed.

"Mr. Schuester," sniffled Rachel. "Do you think instead of nominating songs, we can just all go around the room and talk about all the things we loved about Glee Club this year?"

She broke down crying and everyone else did too.

****

"I'm so sad," Juniper mumbled as Santana sat down next to her on the bed after they got home from Mr. Schue's.

"I know, Juni," said Santana, gently rubbing the brunette's back.

"Is it true that you only joined Glee Club to destroy it?" asked Juniper, looking up at the Latina with hurt in her eyes.

"Yeah," said Santana. "Yeah, that was why I joined. But I swear, this wasn't part of the plan."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Because... after I joined... I realized I actually liked it. And I promise you, I had no idea Sue was planning this."

"Pinky promise this wasn't part of your plan to destroy the club?" asked Juniper, holding up her pinky.

"Pinky promise on that," said Santana, linking her pinky with the younger girl's.

****

In Glee Club the next day, Mr. Schue wrote "Journey" on the board.

"Mr. Schuester, we have something we want to say to you," said Rachel as she walked into the choir room with Finn.

"Me first. Have a seat," said Mr. Schue.

Rachel and Finn sat down.

"Nine months ago there were six of you in here," Mr. Schue started. "And we sucked. I mean we really sucked. Bad."

Juniper smiled to herself as she remembered their first Glee rehearsal. She looked over at Tina. Their eyes met and she could tell they were both thinking the exact same thing.

"One day all of you are gonna be gone," continued Mr. Schue. "And all of this, all of us, will be nothing but a hazy memory. It will take you a second to remember everyone's names. Someone will have to remind you of the songs we sung, the solos you got or didn't get. Life only really has one beginning and one end and the rest is just a whole lot of middle. And I love you guys too much to let you not make the most of it."