Old Dog, New Tricks

Santana, Rachel, and Juniper were out walking the streets of New York. Rachel was ahead of them with at least 8 dogs. Santana and Juniper were a few feet back with Bear.

After the diva missed a show of Funny Girl to audition for a show in LA, gossip bloggers all across NYC had been looking for any reason to give her name a bad image. So, Santana helped her organize a PR stunt to help rehabilitate her reputation.

Paparazzi approached them and began to take photos.

"Miss Berry, what on earth are you doing walking all of these beautiful dogs?" asked Blaine, who was helping them out.

"Well someone has to," said Rachel. "Did you know that New York City shelters are the most over populated in the state?"

"What?" Santana asked. "No, I didn't know that."

"That's such a shame," Juniper added. "Bear, isn't that just so sad?"

The frenchie let out a soft woof in agreement.

"That's why I'm starting my own dog-rescue charity, Broadway Bitches at the Spotlight Diner," said Rachel, posing for the paparazzi.

As the paparazzi continued to snap photos, the dogs grew restless. One of them barked and began trying to walk towards a man with a hotdog. The other dogs started pulling when they spotted the man as well, and when Rachel didn't move she lost her balance and fell down to the concrete. The group of dogs ended up dragging the Broadway star across the concrete as they tried to get to the man with the hotdog.

Bear tried to run after them too, but Juniper quickly tightened her grip on his leash.

"Sit," the brunette said sternly and he obeyed. "Good boy."

"Well, someone's gotta get this on video," Santana said as she pulled out her phone and started recording.

****

Juniper was sitting next to Rachel on her bed back at the loft as Santana sat at the end of it. The younger girl was comfortingly rubbing the diva's back as she held an ice pack to her wounds.

"At least you were wearing underwear," Juniper shrugged.

"I got dragged four blocks and now I have to pay for this dress and that man got bit by a shih tzu," said Rachel. "Seriously, is this a good idea? Because I feel like I look worse now."

"Yes, this is a good idea, okay," said Santana. "Everybody's talking about your activism. And, in fact, out of the 500 Broadway Bitches Evites that I sent out this morning, over half are confirmed. And, I even have a reporter from NYTheatreNews.com ready to do a piece on it. So just stick to the plan and don't go soft on me."

"Ladies, I've got good news," said Kurt as he came into Rachel's room with a huge smile. He held up a flier. "I landed a role."

"'The Lexington Home for Retired Performers presents, Peter Pan,'" Juniper read.

"And I'm Peter!" Kurt exclaimed. "They needed an emergency replacement because the woman playing him dropped- out. S-she dropped out."

"You mean dropped dead?" the younger girl asked, getting a jab in the rib from Rachel. "Ow!"

"You cannot possibly be serious," said Santana as Juniper moved to the edge of the bed to sit next to her.

"I am, actually, and I'm very excited about it," said the brunette boy. "Opening night is Monday and I'd love to have you."

"Sorry, Kurt," said the Latina. "We can't make it. As much as I would love to watch 'Homocchio' and the geriatric puppets put on a depressing sub-community theatre show, Rachel's event is that night."

"Well, that shouldn't be a problem because the show starts at 4."

"I'm sorry, Kurt," said Rachel. "Santana has me doing all these photo ops and interviews and my reputation is at stake here. Seriously, you know, I could lose jobs if I don't clean this up."

"I bend over backwards for you every time you need something," said Kurt. "Well, I need you now. So please. Support me in this."

"I am doing something good for the animals," said the diva.

"No, you're doing it for yourself," Kurt countered. "You treat me exactly like the world treats these dogs. You just cast me aside. Well, I'm done being a friend only when it's convenient for you."

"I'll be there," Juniper spoke up.

"Thanks, Juni," the older boy smiled softly at her. "I'm glad someone's supportive."

****

It was the night of Kurt's show. After lots of pleading and begging from Juniper, Rachel finally gave in and agreed that supporting their friend was more important than doing something that would only benefit her.

Juniper sat in between Rachel and Santana, her head resting on the Latina's shoulder. Sam, Blaine, Finn, and Artie were sitting on the other side of Rachel.

Rachel's phone started ringing and she answered it. Juniper could hear Kurt on the other end, but she couldn't quite make out what he was saying.

"That is very sweet of you but I have to go, because, um, my best friend's show is about to start," said Rachel.

Juniper looked over to the front of the room – which was acting as a makeshift stage – and saw Kurt in his Peter Pan costume. Everyone waved enthusiastically at him and he smiled.

****

After the show, everyone went to the Spotlight Diner for Rachel's event. Juniper sat at a booth with Bear and Kurt. The frenchie sat patiently in her lap and she had her arms wrapped around him in case he got excited around the other dogs in the diner.

"Juni, I just wanted to say thank you," said Kurt, breaking the silence.

"For what?" the younger girl asked, turning to face him.

"Well, Rachel said that it was you who convinced her that she'd be able to come to my show and still get here in time for her thing. It really means a lot to me."

"I mean, someone has to help her not think about herself," Juniper shrugged. "And you were right. You're always here for us whenever we need something, so it's only fair for us to be there for you when you need us."

"Thanks, Juni," Kurt smiled. "You're the greatest little sister in the world."

"And you're the greatest big brother," said Juniper, returning the older boy's smile.

"What about me?" asked Finn as he sat down across from them.

"Okay fine. You're both the greatest big brothers."

"Hello, everyone," Rachel spoke into the mic, getting everyone's attention. "Thank you so much for coming and supporting Broadway Bitches. You know, as New Yorkers, we get so wrapped up in our careers and making it that we forget the importance of really creating a legacy that we can be proud of. And what better way and what's more rewarding than giving back to man's best friend and to all of our friends, really? So, please join me in giving a warm welcome to some very special friends who are here today to help us out. From the Lexington Home of Retired Performers, give it up and enjoy the song!"