16

"There she is- Rose Walker. 21 years of age. Mother, Deceased. Father, deceased." Lucienne said aloud as she read from a binder page across from me.

I had perked my head up from my slouching position.

"Poor kid." Matthew had said as he was perched on the back of my chair, above my head.

"There is a brother, Jed Walker. And someone else." Said Lucienne as she flipped the page.

After she had said this, I heard clanking from behind me, like pieces of wood tapping each other.

"Is it true?" Said a gruff voice, it almost sounded like one of the rude mistresses at that behavioral school, though, I wasn't quite sure if it was a woman with a low voice, or if it was just a 40 year old man dressed in a dress.

As I looked behind me to see who the voice belonged to, I almost yelped from surprise. It seemed to be a scarecrow with a pumpkin head, the head had eyes, nose and a mouth carved out, and they moved to create a grumpy facial expression. I quietly sighed in relief figuring it was on of Dreams or a dreamer's creation.

Lucienne had looked up from the binder she was previously reading from and clicked her tongue before placing the binder on the desk in front of her and standing up.

"Yes. The plans for the new celestarium have been approved." Lucienne said as she picked up a cylindrical package, to what I think was blueprints.

The pumpkin headed man only shook his head before speaking.

"I'm not here to talk construction. I'm here to talk about the vortex." The pumpkin headed man said before politely taking the blueprints from Lucienne.

"Lord Morpheus is already monitoring her dreams." Lucienne said.

"He better be" the pumpkin headed man then said as he had his hands on his hips.

"And sending Matthew to watch her in the waking world." Lucienne then said. The pumpkin headed man then had what I assumed was a confused face.

"What? Who's Matthew?" The pumpkin head asked. This cause my to giggle, covering my mouth with my hand to muffle my giggling.

The pumpkin headed man then turned to me, opening his mouth to say something before Matthew beat him to it.

"Merv. It's me." Matthew said.

"Stop. He's sending the new kid? And who's the kid beside him?" The pumpkin headed man said as he turned to Lucienne while pointing his thumb at me and Matthew.

"Why not?" Matthew questioned.

"You've been here for five minutes. Do you even know what to watch for?" The pumpkin head man said as he turned toward Matthew.

"No. Do you want to go?" Matthew shot back at him, causing the pumpkin headed man to scoff before putting his hands out in front of him.

"I do not." Said the pumpkin headed man as he dragged out the 'O' in 'Do'.

"Then tell me what to watch for." Matthew said.

"Oh." The pumpkin headed man said. He looked at Lucienne, who had her head turned and looked at him, waiting for him to say something. The pumpkin headed man then turned back to Matthew.

"Any unusual behavior."

"Said the pumpkin to the talking bird. Can you be a little more specific?" Said Matthew, causing me to giggle a bit more when he added a sassy tone to his words. This caused the pumpkin headed man to groan and what I assume was to roll his eyes at Matthew.

Lucienne looked at Matthew.

"If the vortex manifests, she would do so in her dreams, which of course reflect her waking life. So look for any signs of shock or trauma." Lucienne said.