A Dream Of A Thousand Cats

[disclaimer: This chapter is based on the short film "A Dream Of A Thousand Cats" from the Sandman series)

"Come on, darling, come to bed." My woman owner called out from her room. I stood behind the male owner as I watched him wash the dishes.

"Uh, I'll be- I'll be right there, love. Just putting the kitten in her basket."

"Mrow" I called out as he picked me up.

"Leave the door open so she can get to the litter." The female owner called out from her room again.

"Mow.." I called out quietly as I started purring and rubbing against the hands of my male owner.

"Goodnight fluffball." The male owner said as he pet me, I leaned into the pets as he scratched behind my ear.  Feeling the petting stop, I looked up and saw the he had already stood up and was making his way to the door.

Turning off the light before closing the door as he made his way to his room.

It was all dark, except for the moonlight that shown through the window. Looking out the window, I saw a familiar cat outside of it.

Standing up, I looked at the grey cat.

"It's tonight. Are you coming? Should be amusin' if nothing else." He said.

"I can't get out. All the wall openings are closed." I said back to him.

"No, not all of them. Up there. A clear hole is partly open. You can get out through there." Said the grey cat as he looked up at an opening.

Looking up at it, I made my way up. It was a window at the top of the staircase, it was open. Breathing heavily, I made it to the top of the stairs and climbed my way up to the window sill.

"Shake your tail, little one. We mustn't miss this." The grey cat called out from a tree branch. standing up, I looked down at the ground and then where the branch was. Taking a step back, I jumped off the window sill, latching onto the branch as I started sliding down.

I kept my hold on the branch until I felt I was being lifted. The grey cat had lifted me up and was carrying me down to the ground.

"Good job. You just have to work on the landing. Come on. The night won't wait." The grey cat said as we both went through a fence and started our way down the cobblestone street.

"What will she be like?" I asked.

"Who knows? Not this cat." Said the grey cat as we continued our way down the street.

We made it to the woods and were walking up a fallen tree.

"Well met, fellow night-threaders." Said a black cat from a piece of a stone wall next to us.

"Mrow. Hello. We're going to see her." I said.

"Me too, although, I can't see much point to it." The black cat said as he looked down at me.

"Then why are you here?" The grey cat said as he looked at the black cat for a moment before jumping off the fallen tree and walked down a path.

"Curiosity perhaps" said the black cat.

Following after him, I saw more cats joining us on our walk.

"I want to hear what she has to say." I said as I looked back at the black cat, following the grey cat as he led the now group of cats down a path in the woods.

"So do we all, child. So do we all." The black cat said as he was walking behind me.

Coming upon a cemetery filled with cats as they meowed, I stayed close to the grey cat. A few cats hissed here and there, jumping at each other but not fighting.