THREE

"I'm telling you Levi, the dress is just wonderful! I can't wait for you to see it!" My fiancé, Heather spoke over the phone, located in the back room of 'The Hollywood Lounge

 "I'm telling you Levi, the dress is just wonderful! I can't wait for you to see it!" My fiancé, Heather spoke over the phone, located in the back room of 'The Hollywood Lounge.'

I didn't want to answer her call right now. 

I was already being bugged about everything else. From Shelly demanding more out of me per usual once the last broad couldn't handle the pressure of this line of biz, to a man becoming so pissed that I cut him off after his fourth drink—throwing what was left of the third one, on me and the napkins at her.

Now, I was dealing with some ankle biter at my bar who wouldn't just leave me alone.

Though maybe calling her that wasn't the best choice of words with what was really going on inside of me. After all, she was turning eighteen tomorrow as she made sure to point out. 

But I was way past caring about anything at this point.

Chattering with Heather over wedding plans I could care much less about after her ninth tantrum to me on why the dress was too big, then too small, then too just right that she wanted it to be a bit looser in case she gained more pounds before the big day—or whatever else women these days fussed over, I just wanted to go home to my piano.

At the end of the day however, I really couldn't complain too much about my life.

I had a good girl on my arms according to all my friends, and probably even family—if they cared to talk to me again after I told them I wanted to be a songwriter, instead of following my overbearing father's footsteps in being a lawyer that is. And I had a good job at a very lavish speakeasy.

Though, I still planned on keeping my other passion of writing music hidden. 

It made no matter to me as time went on to showcase it. It hadn't gotten me anywhere good so far, so it was fine with just only me who knew about it. Or at least I thought it was just me.

Apparently the little doll out there thought she could figure me out before I barely knew her name.

"Well I can't wait to see it either! I'm still at work right now though, so is it alright if I give ya a ring later on?" I asked, poking my eyes out in the main room in between each word—hoping my boss didn't notice how often I'd been leaving my post to take numerous calls throughout my shift today from her.

"Don't you want to know about my veil?! It's so gorgeous too! Really Levi!" She then shouted happily.

I nodded, grinning. If she was happy with it, that was all that was needed. "I'm sure it's lovely darlin'. But I really have to go now!" I tried to kindly disconnect.

"Fine. But if you want to know about the guests that will be coming too–" She started to say. But not until I heard the one thing I was trying my best to avoid.