SIX

I was finally eighteen years old today.

Despite me mentioning it many times as a sense of accomplishment, I didn't really make a big deal out of it all day however. But it was still a momentous occasion knowing so many other things could happen.

That meant no one could call me little anymore, I had the means to fend for myself without question, probably get a better place to live for us all under my name and Mama's once I made enough funds, and I would officially be seen as an adult. 

Take that Levi Janson.

But as my clock rang off quietly so I didn't wake the others up in the same room we shared...it was still 5 A.M. too.

I had to get up early now in order to get all the breakfast and book bags prepared for the kids to go to school. So the eight in the morning timestamp with Rochelle, couldn't have been exactly ideal.

Though there were always ways to work around it.

Jumping up from my bed after wiping the grog from my eyes, I tiptoed out the room and down the hall to get to the bathroom. Though as soon I was about to take a shower, I heard a faint whisper coming from Mama's den.

"Ivy? Child, come here." She requested. Facing her, I did.

"Mama, what are ya doing up so early?" I wondered.

She snickered and looked at me. "Ain't I the one that should be askin' that question to ya?" We both let out a small laugh. The world was just backwards sometimes that way I guess. "Today is the day, ain't it? My baby girl is eighteen. Ya know ya Daddy would be so proud of the young woman you're becomin'."

I smiled and nodded, leaning my head against the arched doorway to the room. "I know he would. I just wished he could see this day too though."

She gleamed and agreed. "I know. Although he may not be, there was somethin' he made me promise to give you when you did."

I stared at her mystified. What could that possibly mean?

Inching closer to her bedside, she held out in her palm something that made my eyes widened with pure joy.

It was my Daddy's music pin. 

He always used to stick it on his suit whenever he performed since he was my new age too. Said it gave him the strength he needed because it was his father's pin too—who was also a singer. It was the last thing that was given to him. 

And now...the legacy could keep living on no matter who didn't.

"Oh my god. Mama! For me?!" I asked as the tears started to swell up in my eyes.

She let out a small giggle again, calmly sighing. "Well you've gotten a job and haven't been on a stage in months, so I guess this can be an exception. To wear that is." I slightly sighed and nodded obediently, but still saddened at the thought. "Don't even know why this thing was so important anyway." She genuinely confessed.