THIRTY FOUR

As soon as the bus had landed on Levi's block, I was feeling over the moon excited for us to catch up and see what I'd been missing at the lounge

As soon as the bus had landed on Levi's block, I was feeling over the moon excited for us to catch up and see what I'd been missing at the lounge...and maybe some other things too.

Though I'd be crazy to say Jake's daunting words hadn't been lurking in my mind since I departed from him. I should've been more careful when choosing who I fell for. I should've paid closer attention to the thin line between business and pleasure.

But yet, my heart was playing a different tune and couldn't help it.

With all thoughts getting pushed aside for the moment as I became closer, I suddenly started to approach a couple of voices from his front building steps.

Two familiar voices at that.

"What are ya even doing here Heather? I told ya we were through." Levi let out.

"I know babe, I know! It's just that I've been missing you like crazy. I miss us, honestly Levi! You don't even know how many times I've been tempted to call you up to chat." Heather's voice rang out.

Looks like I ain't the only one who was trying to surprise him.

"It doesn't matter! Maybe ya should've thought about that before ya messed us up. It wasn't me or my job, it was only yourself!" He answered in a bit of a pissed tone.

But that didn't deflect more so of how baffled I was starting to become. Why was he so angry if he was the one that called off the engagement in the first place?

"Okay you're right! I messed up! I should've never been with another man and I'm sorry! I'm willing to do whatever it takes to win you back! We're still in love, aren't we big fella?" She tried to spin it all around.

Freezing in place, I was definitely taken aback. I had also always been under the impression that he decided to choose to be with me because he simply wanted to.

"Love?! Ya don't even know the meaning of the word Heather! People in love don't hurt the one they decided they wanted to be with for the rest of their lives!"

"But we still want the same things, sweetie! You want to settle down, be married, and start a family. So do I. You also said it yourself that your parents loved me—which is the only reason why they wanted to try rekindling that relationship that you lost with them. We can still make them happy and be happy ourselves." She replied, with sheer hope dripping out of her tone. "How else are you gonna make that possible?"

Though pausing without giving a clear answer as I found myself hiding in the nearby bushes onlooking the quarrel, there was a hesitancy from his demeanor.

That was another thing I hadn't thought about if we wanted to work out. 

Marriage and his own family. I could never give him any of that even if I wanted to–which I truly did. I didn't believe however I would ever be needing to remember that.