TWELVE

With the drums beating off to start, the single spotlight had set directly on me once the curtains pulled back

With the drums beating off to start, the single spotlight had set directly on me once the curtains pulled back. The audience down below consisted of half paying attention and the other half still indulging into their own conversations.

I shyly grinned, unsure how to get right into it at first—but still began. 

Though it was only just over a year ago, it felt like forever playing before a group. Although with Levi signaling me that he had my back no matter what, I was feeling more at ease.

For Rochelle, she was in the midst of everyone looking around hesitantly—probably unsure herself if I could really do this too. Yet, clinging onto my father's pin again...I took a deep breath in and out knowing I could at least try to do my best.

Besides, I had a bigger mission to do right now.

Soon, the other instruments started chiming in as I continued only staring at Levi as he now suddenly froze, eying me in shock and recognizing the beat right off the bat. 

And with that...I managed to let it all out.

With the first verse, the words just came out so smoothly. Gradually, the folks started to become more fully alert—abandoning their drinks and observing my actions. However, the looks of bewilderment took over nearly everyone's expressions. 

But still, I pressed on as I kept glancing over to Levi smugly—who was now growing more pale, speechless, and astonished than I'd ever seen any man in my life.

Coming to the chorus, I got further into the feel of the music moreover the tensity of the room. The band behind me registered my flow and only got better with each note they continued playing—having the time of their lives.

Getting swept away by the symphony and at that moment, I peered out into the room once more. Folks started to nod in approval, smiling back toward me, getting up, and crowding around to the middle of the former untouched dance floor to get a better look.

Now I knew I didn't have the most glamorous outfit right now, but it didn't matter. The loud acoustics of the atmosphere was all they needed to truly hear and connect to.

And connecting after a while, they did. 

They soon turned their confused looks into creative and fun dance moves from the popular dance crazes that the nation was currently buzzing over, with whoever was willing to try to get into the spirit too. Then the next thing I knew as the song continued...the entire room was now chanting and cheering for me to keep going happily.

All backgrounds and all races for even just a moment were joined together with no judgment, dancing with their friends and significant others. 

Everybody was having a blast. 

Staring back out to Levi, he began looking around too at the positive feedback before beaming from ear to ear—gasping in joy that others were actually enjoying and praising what he had written.