SIXTEEN

Strolling through the Columbia Records 'Hall of Fame', I saw photos and awards of all the great artists of our time

Bessie Smith, Marion Harris, Duke Ellington—the gang was all here. 

To be even half of who they are, would be a dream in itself. Maybe I could also be amongst the great too one day, if I just keep rolling with whatever Jake had up his sleeves.

"This place is pretty amazing, huh?" Levi suddenly spoke out.

I stopped in my tracks, turning toward him and smiled shyly. "Hey...where's Heather?"

He continued walking through while taking in the tranquil decor as well. "She went to get us some drinks. Kinda weird I'm not the one making them though..." We briefly shared a chuckle. "Never thought I'd see the day. But now look, thanks to ya I can honestly do what makes me truly happy."

Now directly under me, I tried to move slowly back—praying that we didn't revert back to him holding me the way he did. The magnificent way that just kept replaying in my head.

Grinning at his sweet compliment, we both then stared toward one of the legends on the walls—knowing we wanted to say more to each other, but just didn't know how for a moment. And I sorta knew why. 

Maybe he was also not expecting to do what he did. Maybe he meant it, but didn't know what to think of it. But either way, we could surely work around it.

"Ya know my Daddy would've been happy seeing this too. He always talked about becoming bigger and living the life he knew was probably a million to one chance of happening realistically—for a man of his color. He'd be very proud of us thus far, I'm sure." I sighed happily.

Staring carefully, he smiled warmly. "Well considering ya always describe him in past tense...what happened? I-i-i-if ya don't mind me asking."

I actually didn't. I figured he would at some point, now that've we gotten closer. But it was fine. I loved talking about my Daddy's legacy. It was such an honorable one although the way it ended ain't so much.

"His life was cut short too early. One moment he was up on that stage, doing his thing and touching folks hearts with his voice...then the next, a few gangsters thought differently. Two opposing sides got into a fallout and guns were drawn quicker than lighting—yet the only target they managed to not miss...was him."

Shaking his head sadly, "I'm so sorry Ivy. I-I I really didn't mean to pry-"

"It's okay Levi. It took me and my family a long while to get through it but for the most part, we did. Well, except for my Mama. Woman used to love the sound of music but now...she rarely wants to hear it—regretting she ever did. It only got worse when she got into a car accident shortly after."

With a more shocked and pale look from him, I shrugged, accepting all this a long time ago—but still taking hold of his hand and squeezing it firmly...he let out a gentle grin.

He didn't have to feel sorry for me at all. No one did. 

Life everyday may give us challenges. It shouldn't define who we were though. We could get through it just like we're doing if we just keep pushing on.

"I really appreciate ya telling me. I know it couldn't have been easy to..." He slightly leaned his head down.

I moved my palms from his, now cupping his chin and raising it back up to face me with a soft grin. "What can I say? I appreciate ya for being so easy to talk to."

He chuckled a bit, biting his bottom lip down nodding. "I feel the same..."

The room soon started to become bare—like it was just us two in the whole building almost with his memorable words. But I couldn't be the only one with a story here.

"So! What is it with your folks that makes the world of music so terrible?" I then pulled away.

"Oh, ya don't wanna know." He smirked, shaking his head. I playfully gave him a bitter look. That didn't seem fair. I told him mine. Chuckling once more, he nodded and sighed. "Well it's not gonna be too crazy. Really, at the end of the day, it just comes down to differences. They don't think it's a good career move or goal for me. My parents were respectable lawyers and owned their own law firm before they retired. So essentially, they wanted me to follow in their footsteps and carry out the family business. However, me choosing to work at an illegal speakeasy until I could become a pro musician...just made them angry."

"Have ya tried to make them understand lately? They might think something else now if they see where ya might be heading to after all. Who knows if they'll be very proud too?" I suggested.

"I do. They won't." He reasoned. I shook my head. Looks like stubborn Levi returned.

"Ah! There you guys are!" Jake then shouted entering and heading to where we were. "I was looking for you, Miss Hart. Wanted to see if you'd like to check out our buffet area that just opened. I can fix you a plate..." He smiled at me. It was very sweet of him to offer. But directing my gaze over to Levi again, he just stood there brooding him in silence. Noticing that too himself, Jake soon cleared his throat staring at him too. "Or...not."

I slightly shrugged it off for them both.

I didn't get his deal with him honestly. But like he said before I supposed, he just acted differently to people he barely knew at first. But maybe if he got a few one on one time with the fella to hear about his substantial plans, he'd be more friendly.

"Uh...thanks, but I really don't mind getting it myself. Could ya please tell me where the nearest ladies room is first?" I asked him.

He gestured further down. "Second door to the left."

I nodded gratefully and winked at Levi, assuring him everything would be okay if he just got to know him more while heading in the exact direction.

But in the back of my head as I kept moving away, from the corner of my eyes I could see his wandering eyes intently following close behind and soon...further down my back, with an impressed smirk.

Grinning to myself, I was shamefully loving  it way more than I should.

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

Uh-oh, Ivy keeps catching feelings for a man she can't have. I wonder what's in Levi's head next...

See ya next time! :)