FIFTEEN

The sound of the teapot went off loudly

The sound of the teapot went off loudly. I was gathering all the dinner and drinks for tonight, so I could take care of everything fast before heading out.

"Where ya going again that you're such in a hurry?" Jordan inquired, helping me prepare the plates for everyone.

He was eight but he had legs and hands that work. There was no reason why he couldn't help. I couldn't be late under any circumstances. 

They'd probably think then I didn't want to take the job seriously.

"I told ya already. I've got a work event I have to attend. And if ya need anything, just phone me. Ya hear?" I replied, making Mama a hot cup of tea. "And make sure everyone gets to eat everything Jordan. Will ya please?"

"I've got it. I've got it. I promise. But why do they really need ya at night?"

Quickly, Diana rushed in all freshly cleaned and in her pajamas I helped her in happily, jumping up to the chair at the table. "Who cares? As long as we get to have food like this every night—whatever she's doing is the cat's meow!" She gleamed at the full arrangement in front of her.

For the first time ever since Daddy, we all had a chance to take part in some good meals now with the increase of pay Rochelle received and shared to me and Levi just as she promised.

So tonight's menu was quite a treat. 

Chicken, Mac and cheese, bread rolls, and Levi's all time favorite—peach pudding for dessert.

"I second that!" Joy and Dale rushed in taking their food too. I smirked and nodded. I knew they would. "Besides, ya look really pretty Ivy in this new dress you bought." Joy finished, admiring all the intricate details of it. I giggled.

If only she knew this was just a loan from Rochelle and part of my costume changes. 

Supposedly, all my best garments still appeared to look like they came from my grandma's attic. 

"Aww thank ya little miss. You'll look even better in it when ya grow up." I assured wiping my hands on my dishrag, hoping not a drop of anything got on it or it would come out of my paycheck.

"Don't be silly! We'll never be able to afford clothes like this again." Diana let out.

Maybe she could if everything went right with Mr. Jake Johnson. 

Although Levi oddly didn't appear too keen on a man like that. Though for me, he was just a confident fella I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

"Never say never. If ya just keep dreaming big, you'll sure find that light at the end of the tunnel." I told them, analyzing how far I've come on my dreams finally within months. They needed that kind of promise to look forward to as well, or what else would they have? Eying the time on the wall clock, I nodded. Time to go. "Alright now! I've gotta head out, so come over here and give ya big sis a hug and wish me luck."