Prologue: Hard To Handle

"American Alligators are the largest reptiles in North America. Also the most dangerous."

Dangerous.

"Just check out these teeth-"

Gruff hands came to force his head upwards, bending it back a bit too far. The weight on his back was too much to attempt a move. Especially with the condition he was in... One hand moved to grip the soft skin under his jaws, then they pulled. A pained hiss. His tail whipped sideways, but it only caused the man on his back to put his weight down more. The reptiles mouth refused to separate. The man leaned forward, his teeth gritted. "Open." The hand pulled again, and the jaws were pried. Sounds of amazement came from the crowd. A single child had gasped and retreated behind his mother.

"Alligators can have eighty-four teeth in their mouth at any given time, used for biting and tearing apart their prey-"

The man maneuvered the reptiles head so the crowd could get a better look. He gestured to the one he was showing.

"-Although Montgomery here seems to be missing a few."

The hand let go and the massive pair of jaws slammed shut, a loud 'POP' echoing into the startled crowd. The little boy from before gasped and then began crying.

"Although alligators are very dangerous,-"

Dangerous...

"Montgomery here knows better than to get aggressive."

The man leaned to sly his choice of words. "Isn't that right?"

The reptiles head was released and the man stood to get off of him. He walked to the crowd and gave a bow. "We hope you enjoyed the show, and thank you all so much for coming. Come back next week for our annual Gator Fest: See me and the gang wrestle these swamp monsters."

Swamp monsters.

A round of applause broke loose as the man made his leave.

---

A door opened. Montgomery turned his head to acknowledge a whistle that was directed at him.

"Hope you do better next time, gator."

Montgomery fully turned to face the man that approached him, who continued to speak. "Those people pay good money to see those stunts and here you are refusing to do what you're told."

Montgomery glared at the man. The reptiles nostrils had flared as he exhaled. "Y'all know I hate doin' 'em..." He spat. The man stopped as the alligator continued. "I go through this every day, gettin' caught an' man-handled- Jus' so y'all can make a quick buck by lyin' ta them folks... Sayin' I'm dangerous."

The man made a snide grin. "It's not lying, Montgomery. You represent every gator out there to those people. All they see is a face lined with deadly teeth, just as they should. And as big as you are, my friend-"

"I ain't yer friend, Ryan."

Ryan...

The man had paused to take a nod, his snide smirk still evident. "I don't think you have a choice, amigo... I'm you're handler." Montgomery hissed as Ryan took a step towards him, too close. The mans hand had came to grip the alligators gullet and he forced the reptiles head down. Their eyes met with a harsh glare. "The sooner you realize that, the better."

Ryan had let go, and Montgomery pulled his head away as the man turned to leave. A chunk of meat was careless tossed into the room before the door had shut completely. The room fell silent. The aggressive posture that overtook Montgomerys form slowly diminished. He spared a look to the piece of meat and then disregarded it. He turned to walk away instead, and headed into his pond. What he wished was an actual pond. The water was stagnant- Almost too unclean to even submerge in. The temperature was rather cold, but he didn't care. It soothed the ache in his hips at least... Montgomery closed his eyes and let out a heavy sigh. His scaley form slowly sunk down into the murky water as the air left him. A trail of bubbles left his nostrils as he sank, a cloud of sand rising when he finally laid against the bottom. He'd sigh again if he could. The makeshift water source was the only place he could be alone, and out of the rough hands of Ryan.