Bad Day At The Lake

"Drinks, food, extra clothes, towels... Did you grab the mosquitoe spray?" Monty smiled and pulled up a green can. He gave it a shake. "E-Yep!" You turned to your truck and finished hitching the camper to it. Monty placed all of the items into the small mobile home and then climbed into the tailbed of the blue vehicle. You'd paused to hand him something. "Oh, and here- I found your shades when I was digging through the closet." Monty jolted up to lean over the side, a happy smile strode across his face. "Oh, sweet Betty- Ya found my shades?!" The alligator gently took them from your hand and then placed the yellow and purple, star-shaped sunglasses onto his snout. Sometimes the sun was too bright for the reptile to handle, so the pair of shades came in handy from time to time. After pushing them up to his eyes, the giddy alligator gave you a happy thumbs up. And then the two of you were off to Lake Flintwater. But, soon enough, a small distraction had come about. In your pocket, your phone began to ring and vibrate as you exited the driveway. Keeping an eye on the road, you maneuvered enough to grab the phone from your back pocket and spared a quick glance to it. Your thumb slid the green icon over to answer the call. It was from Vanessa. You quirked a brow playfully.

"Hey, Vanny~" A long groan echoed over the line.

"Ugh, don't call me that! You and Jeremy know I hate that stupid nickname."

"Haha, alright, alright- Sorry! So, are you on your way there yet?"

"Yeah, about that- I was going to see if you could pick me up? My car just got a flat and I don't have a spare in the back. And Jeremy's already there setting up camp."

"Sure- I can stop by. I'll be over in a few minutes."

"Thanks, Y/N."

The call ended. You slid the back window open to gain Montys attention. "We're going to pick up Vanessa. Her car sprung a flat." Monty put his head into the small open space. He groaned. "Then can she sit back here instead?" "Monty!" "Hey, I'm jus' sayin'!" He groused. You threw him a glare. "No, she's not sitting in the back. You barley even fit in the cab!" "That ain' my fault... Vanessa don' like reptiles too much." He mumbled. You gave a sigh. "It'll be fine, Monty. Just sit back and relax. We'll be at the lake pretty soon." Monty sighed and then pulled his head from the window. The alligator resumed his position against the toolbox and watched as trees and cars passed by. 'Pretty soon' was actually three hours. Flintwater Lake was in the northern part of the state.

---

After picking up Vanessa, you'd made a quick stop at a gas station. You had to get a few bottles of propane for the camper. Your truck pulled up to park next to a small car with a guy seated in the drivers seat. He was blabbering away on his phone, taking a side glance at your truck as it pulled up, then a double-take at the massive reptile that sat in your tailbed. The guy nearly dropped his phone. You stepped out after shutting your truck off and then closed the creaky drivers side door. "Alright, Monty. You chill out here. We'll be right back." You ordered. Monty leaned his head back against the toolbox. "Ain' nothin' else I can do. They probably don' allow my kin' in there..." Came his nonchalant grumble. You shrugged a 'Sorry' and then made your way into the store with Vanessa. The guy in the car was guffawed. After you and Vanessa had disappeared, Monty turned to give the poor guy a toothy smile- Causing the man to shove his car into reverse and then leave the parking lot. Monty watched him leave and then snickered. "Fella acts like he ain' never seena gator my size before, haha!"

After getting the propane and a few extra items, you and Vanessa returned to the truck. You hopped up on the back tire to hand something to Monty. The alligator lit up with glee after realizing that it was a pack of turkey bites- One of his favorite snacks. "Aw, thanks~" His coo forced a grin onto your face. "Yeah, sure. Figured you were getting a little hungry back here. I'm leaving the back window open in case you want to stick your head in or whatever." You said. Monty gave a sarcastic laugh as you hopped down from the back tire. He leaned down to whisper. "Not with Vanessa in tha passenger seat!" The alligator stifled another laugh as you pushed his head away and then climbed into the truck. The two didn't tolerate each other very well.