Last Offer

Four days had passed since the fight. The wounds scattered across Montys hefty form had healed, with the exception of a nasty scar left on his left shoulder. Since your gun had been destroyed, you'd bought another one. It was a small 22 rifle just like your last one, only it was a newer model. You hung it up on your living room wall, unloaded, beside a largemouth bass mount that you had. The fish mount had a picture frame below it, showing a photo of Monty with the massive bass between his jaws, the alligator holding two thumbs up with his hands. The picture was from three years ago, from a fishing trip the two of you had took out in the delta. The bass had broke your line, but Monty was not letting it get away.

~~~

The boat rocked as Monty ran over to you. "REEL, REEL, REEL!" "I'M TRYING TO- THIS THING WEIGHS A TON!" The fishing pole yanked from one side to the other as you struggled to reel the massive largemouth to the boat. You pulled the line and reeled with all your might as Monty readied the net once you'd pulled the fish close. The reel whined as you lowered your pole. "Alright, almost got him!"

'SNAP!'

You fell backwards onto the boats deck when your line snapped, the pole flying from your hands. You scrambled to your feet and yelled, Montys booming voice chorusing your own. The alligator threw the net aside and then jumped from the boat, a huge splash washing over the deck as he dove into the brackish water. You'd seen his tail surface for a swift moment and then the boat was knocked into, causing you to lose your footing again. More spashing was heard before the delta had went silent. A clawed hand grabbed the edge of the boat, and up heaved Monty. The alligator grunted as he threw himself into the boat and sat up. You could only smile. The bass was held between his jaws, the orange lure still present in the fishs' lip. "Monty, you caught him?" The alligator smiled and reached to take the fish from his mouth but you'd stopped him. "Wait- Hold on! Let me get my camera." An excited laugh left you as you dug to grab your photography camera. You switched it on and pointed it at Monty. "Smile!" The alligator shown a wide grin, both of his hands held up to show two thumbs.

~~~

You smiled at the picture. Monty had caught the fish after it'd broke the line. It weighed eleven pounds- Worth more than just a filet, so you'd had it mounted. You'd told the taxidermist to keep the tooth holes in the bass' side. The orange lure was still present in its upper lip, too. The boat had been lent to you by Mr. Chester.

A slow day was ahead. It was nice out, so you decided to do some yard work. Your grass could use a good mowing. After a good breakfast, you headed outside to your shed. You placed the keys in the lawn mower and turned them. It would try to start, but would shut off. You grumbled. "These darn riding mowers..." You pressed yourself into the seat and had made a few more attempts to crank it until it had finally turned over. The mower zoomed out onto the lawn and you started to mow. Monty watched you from the porch. He was enjoying a nice and warm morning of basking in the sun before it got too hot. He'd just ease into the pond then. His eyes kept falling to the woodline as you were busy out in the yard. For the life of him, he just couldn't seem to let the thought of the other alligator go. It'd been biting at him all week. His tail had shifted to lay in a more comfortable position. His tail scutes had fully healed for the most part, but even a stranger could tell that he'd been into some sort of tumble with another male. And his mind couldn't shake itself from the intruder smoking words.

That's what it was...

Monty propped himself up on his elbows. That's why he was so bothered by it. Another male had crossed his path and insulted him on his own turf, no less. As big as the opposer was, Monty had him beat by two feet at least- Even if the grey reptile had a bit more fat than he himself did. He huffed, the same mocking words echoing in his head just like the days prior. "Hmp! I ain' no pet. Ima companion..."