Chapter 3

(Sam Golbach)
The first few hours of school seemed to go by smoothly and no sign of Dale and his posse has been made. I still was on edge but we didn't share many classes together so I was relaxed for the most part. The rumors about me and Colby did act up for a large amount of times however and brought many angry and disgusted looks my way. Kelly would occasionally glare back at them and tell them to "piss off" but eventually we had to split up until now.

It was lunch time now and I agreed to meet with Kelly in our usual spot in the cafeteria. I figured I'd buy him lunch before he arrives and stood in the heavy line of students waiting to get their food. As stupid as it sounds, I felt safer here. I think it's because I had a higher chance of not getting spotted in the large mass of greedy, tall students.

"Morning sweat-heart, what can I get for you today?" Nana, one of the sweet lunch lady's working at our school, said from behind the food stand, grinning cheerfully as she swung her spoon around. I chuckled quietly and looked around humming.

"I'll have a salad, an orange juice box, and one cup of yogurt please." I asked politely, sending her a smile just as bright. She nodded, grabbing my order and handing it over after I paid my fair share. "Thanks, Nana. Have a good day." I waved, getting out of line and walking towards our table.

Just as I sat down, Kelly dropped in in front of me and messed up my hair with a happy yet tired cackle. "A salad? Do I look like a giraffe to you?" He complained when I pushed the tray in front of him, poking at the salad with a fork. I chuckled and got to my own lunch. I always enjoyed momma's food than the cafeteria's. It tasted more fresh when she made it.

Kelly ended up thanking me anyways and eating the salad after I refused to buy him anything else. It wasn't anything bad, he was just a whiny baby.

After a comfortable silence settled between us as we ate, Kelly grew too quiet and I began worrying. His brows were furrowed in thought and his lips curved downward a little whenever something was bugging him. So me being me, I pried.

Flicking his forehead lightly, I gave him a frown of my own and he simply shook his head, picking at the half empty yogurt cup. "Something's bothering you." I said but he denied, shaking his head again.

"Kelly, tell me what's wrong. Please?" I asked again and he sighed. "Nothing, v'been feeling a bit woozy today.." he trailed, holding his head in his hands before shutting his eyes briefly. Furrowing my brows, I lifted his hair away from his face and felt his forehead. "You're burning up! Come on lets take you home." I stood up and helped him up from his seat before heading to the nurse's office and getting a slip.

"But what about you, I can't-"

"I'll be perfectly fine." I grinned assuringly and waved him goodbye from the school gates. Being friends for years, I knew Kelly wanted to argue with me and will get back at me later for ending the argument with a win. I promised myself I'd visit him after school and get him some medicine and snacks and rushed back into the school when the bell went off.

-
The next class -to my pure luck -note the sarcasm- was physical education or in other words sports. It wasn't really hard to link two with two to understand that I hated this class and literally had nothing to do with it.

I can back up my reasons though. Well for one, I'm not a sports guy and am I'm in seriously bad shape, and two, everyone was much larger than flimsy me so getting crushed would take no longer than 5 seconds especially since we're playing dodgeball today. And Dale and his posse were playing. Specifically against me.

Kelly was usually the one to protect me when we played dodgeball so I always relied on him. Though doing that right now was pretty much useless. Smirking mischievously from the other end of the court, Dale cracked his fingers in preparation to most likely end my life and hopped twice in his place, riling himself up.

"H-Hey coach Evans, I'm feeling sick today. I-I think I should sit this one o-out. D-Don't want to puke all over your court, d-do we.. " I stuttered, letting out a fake cough as I tried to walk past him towards the benches. He wasn't having it though and grabbed me by the back of my collar, stopping me in my tracks like a defeated child.

"What a coincidence. Mr. Brock had the same excuse and look where that got him." Coach Evans tutted. "On the side bench?" I asked with hopeful eyes. "No." He rolled his eyes, nudging me onto the court.

I gulped quietly as I felt myself grow smaller and daringly looked up towards Dale who pointed at me and gave one of his famous smirks that, might I add, was a total no go. I let out a shaky breath and looked to my sides, studying my teammates.

Six including me. One of them was Johnny, who gave us some sort of advantage since he was a big guy so hiding behind him was easy. And he was usually a really good player when he wanted to be. Kyler, who was mostly attentive in music class but lazy as whole in every other would be the first one out since he'd be too lazy to even move from his spot, Nicky and Ricky, twins who would mostly make us lose for fighting over the balls or bringing up some arguments. And finally-

Colby?

My eyes met his cold glaring ones and I instantly looked away, nervous.

I furrowed my brows in confusion and tried to think. Was he always in this class? Stupid Sam, how could you not notice? Well to be fair he did often skip a lot of classes, though I shouldn't be bugging into his business. I mean he does what he wants and when he wants to and I can't really say anything to oppose that and-

FWEEEEEET!

Stomping footsteps broke me out of my boy vs self rant as each team, well part of ours, rushed to grab the balls lined in the middle of the court and begin sending them at each other.

I was able to dodge a few of the striking balls only barely but enough to stay in. Ricky and Nicky managed to get one of the opposing team players out but broke into a fight about who did it, consequently getting them both out.

My heart began to beat faster at the realization that there was a higher chance of being targeted now now that we were down to only four- three. I bit my lip nervously as I watched Kyler walk off the court, dragging his feet lazily behind him. At least he wasn't out first. R-Right?

Growing even more nervous, I dodged one of the balls flying towards me, successfully catching it when it bounced off the wall near my feet and throwing it at the opposing team, getting one of them out.

"Yes!" I cheered out, watching Colby get another one of their teammates out. But now we were down to two and Dale's team still outnumbered us by three.

Gulping visibly, I readied myself for another dodge when I caught Dale reeling his arm back and sending a ball straight towards me with full force. My eyes widened in fear and I swear I thought I heard someone yell my name, when I felt the impact of the ball hit against my face and my world fade into a dead-silent void darkness.