Chapter 18

(Sam Golbach)
A hiss escaped my lips when water hit my wound, cleaning off the blood and clearing the skin so we can see the severity of it. It hurt a lot so I didn't doubt it'd be deep. I bit my lip when more water was thrown on it and forced my tears back. The nurse tutted, shaking her head.

"You might need stitches, hun." She sighed. I looked at Kelly with frightened eyes and he looked at me sadly. "O-Okay." I whispered, clenching my shirt in my hands and let out a shaky breath. I forced my tears back and gulped. I'm so scared. A hand took my own and clutched it tightly, squeezing it assuringly.

I looked at Kelly gratefully and allowed the nurse to tend to my wound. As terrified as I was, I knew I had to get it done. Kelly smiled warmly and ruffled my hair. "You'll have a badass scar when this is done. I want one of my own now, I'm jealous." He pouted, making me chuckle when the nurse glared up at him.

He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck with a hesitant smile. I shook my head and smiled lightly, wincing when the stitching process began. Kelly kept distracting me with his silly jokes and stories and I soon found myself up and done with the stitches.

It ached, yes, but Kelly was right. Maybe I will have a badass scar after. Momma's gonna kill me!

When the nurse shooed us off with a warning and a few tips so I wouldn't reopen my wound, Kelly guided me towards the main area of the camp and got the two of us lunch. "Thank you, Kelly, for everything." I hugged him. I don't know what I would've if it weren't for Kelly. And knowing he'd do anything to stay by my side made my eyes gloss lightly. "I'd do anything for you as long as you're okay." He hugged back, gently running his fingers through my hair.

"You need a shower.." "Kelly!" I hit his arm. "Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He laughed, sinking back in his seat when he grabbed his own share of food.

"On a serious note though, I-I need advice." Kelly trailed, and in that moment, either my eyes were making me see things or, truly, Kelly was blushing. My eyes were wide as I stared at him, struggling to get this reality through my brain, making him roll his eyes and shrug. "I'll just ask your boyfriend then." That snapped me out of it.

"B-Boyfriend?!" I squeaked, cheeks growing red as I tried to wrap my head around his words. He shrugged again. "Yea, I was gonna wait until you told me first but it's too late now." "K-Kelly, Colby's not my b-boyfriend!" I shook my head rapidly. Thinking that made me blush for some reason.

"AHA!" Kelly yelled, standing up from his seat and pointing an accusing finger at me. "I never said it's Colby, so it really is him!" He laughed out winningly and I tried to shush him down as he was attracting much unwanted attention. Grabbing a peace of chicken from Kelly's plate, I stuffed it in his mouth as he continued to yell and ordered him to sit down, promising to never talk to him again if he didn't.

I sighed to myself when he finally calmed down but resuming his messy chewing on the chicken. "It's as I said, Kelly, Colby isn't my b-boyfriend. He wouldn't like me l-like that anyways." I mumbled, picking at the food in my plate. Kelly spit out the chicken. At least he stopped his messy eating.

"Listen here, Golbach." He growled, pointing a finger my way and glaring at me. "Don't you start hitting me with that insecure and let down crap. Anyone out there would be more than lucky to have you as their partner, so don't talk like that just because one dude doesn't like you in that way. You're an amazing little sunshine and whoever fails to see that clearly needs to get their eyes and their empty heads checked."

Looking down at my hands, I forced my threatening tears back and gently wiped my eyes when some accidently slipped out. "You're really not an idiot after all." I sniffle, smiling at him in appreciation. "Always gotta ruin the moment." He sighed defeatedly, shaking his head softly making me giggle.

"So will you give me that advice now?" He plead and I chuckled, nodding.

-
Finally back at the hut, I place Colby's share of food on the little table and limp over to my bed, taking a seat. I grabbed my phone from under the pillow and sent a message to momma and Ben, letting them know I was doing fine and was safely back in my hut.

They didn't know about my little incident. Had they known, I wouldn't see the light of day except through my bedroom window. They were both so protective of me which I appreciated more than ever, but I was growing up. And I had to learn to do things on my own and not worry others about it.

Sure, they'd know eventually -it's pretty hard to miss- but until then I didn't want them to worry.

Too drowned in my thoughts, I failed to notice the bathroom door opening and the half naked boy standing in the center of the shared room. "Sam?"

I jumped in surprise from the intruding voice, whipping my head over to Colby and squeaking out when I spotted him standing in nothing but a towel. W-Why does this keep happening!

This time however, my eyes remained on him. Water dipped down toned skin, sliding down a muscled chest and disappearing under the white towel. And then I saw it. A scar. My brows furrowed in concern, replacing the flusters and lust I once felt as I carefully stood up and walked towards him.

"Sam.. what are you going?" Colby took a hesitant step back but I gently caught his wrist, stopping him. "What happened?" I whispered quietly, gently tracing my finger over the scar extending across his torso and a moving down a little under his belly button. Colby tensed beneath my touch but I made no move to pull away. And the closer I got, the more I began to notice faint little cuts littered around his body. "C-Colby.." My eyes saddened.

"It's not that." He said, grabbing my hand and gently pulling it away. "I used to get in fights a lot after Gage's death and messed with some bad people. It's over now though." His brother.

"How did I not notice?" I furrowed my brows. "You had your eyes covered the last time we were like this." He laughed loudly, making me blush and turn away with a grumble. "It's fine, sparkles. It's in the past." Colby smiled and right then right there,

my heart skipped a beat.