Chapter 5

(Sam Golbach)
I always saw myself as a nice person. Sometimes a little too nice. And Kelly maybe-sort-of-told-me-that-that-was-gonna-get-me-in-trouble-someday. And maybe -just maybe- that 'someday' was today.

With Kelly not around for the day I thought I could take advantage of that and try to make my amends.. with Colby.. who Kelly told me to stay away from. But could you blame me?! It felt wrong not to and I also had to thank him for staying with me after school when I passed out.

So now standing outside the abandoned classroom Colby occasionally spent his lunch breaks in -may have snooped around for that info- I started to rethink breaking Kelly's forceful advice.

The halls on this floor were fairly quiet and dark except for the light seeping through the windows but nowhere as scary-

SLAM!

"AHH- DON'T HAUNT ME I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG!" I screamed, dropping to the ground and covering my head underneath my arms. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly afraid to see something supernatural but was only greeted with rumbling laughter erupting from one of the rooms.

I quietly peeled my arms away and sniffled, wiping away the little frightened tears that welled up in my eyes. I stood up when the laughter continued and silently walked into the abandoned classroom, looking for the source of said laughter.

I spotted Colby sitting on one of the desks, clutching his stomach in pain as he tried to tone down his loud cackling. "S-Should you really be making all this noise u-up here?" I mumbled, trying to disregard his rudeness.

I sighed when he just continued to laugh and walked towards one of the old chalk boards in curiosity. I picked up a piece of broken chalk and quietly began drawing. A habit I had.

I started off small before easily creating a landscape and adding little bird silhouettes to fly above. I flinched when something suddenly hit the back of my head and turned around.

"What do you want?" Colby said, finally easing down his laughter and returning to his cold, rude attitude. "Well I wanted to apologize but-" "But what?" He raised a brow and I started to shrink under his piercing gaze. He was awfully close too.

"B-But I um- Ow!" I whimpered, swatting his hand away when he pinched my cheek. "Why'd you do that?" I snapped, trying my hardest to glare up at him.

"Stop stuttering. You're not a child, speak up and tell me what you're actually here for." He hissed and I gulped visibly. I was pissing him off. I shook my head. "A-Apologize. That's.. That's harassment!" I squeaked, pointing an accusing finger at him while I rubbed my cheek with the other.

Silence.

His glare was targeted on me and no matter how much I tried to avoid them, his eyes remained on me and me only. Suddenly he took a step back and began walking out with not a single sound.

I watched him in confusion, slowly processing what was happening before I remembered my real mission and lunged after him, grabbing him by the arm.

His hand though instantly shot towards me, grabbing by the collar of my shirt and lifting me up slightly. He went to say something but I cut him off before he could. And hopefully before he could use violence as a replacement of his words. "T-Thank you.. for taking care of me the other day."

I blushed, avoiding his eyes and holding myself back from making any other stupid remarks and possibly blowing my chance of making amends.

Colby's hand slowly began to release my shirt when I remembered. "A-And I'm sorry.." I trailed off, blushing harder as I tried to put my thoughts into a decent sentence. I seemed to take some time thinking though since Colby only got more annoyed and shoved me back a little, releasing me.

"You're ticking me off, squeaks. Just say what you have to say and get the hell out of here already. You have a really punchable face and it's tempting me a lot right now." He hissed.

"Alright, alright!" I shook my head rapidly and took a step back. "It's just the rumors.. about me and you in the closet. I'm sorry, i t's my fault it happened and I want to take responsibility for it but I-I'm not sure how to." I explained, looking at him with a defeated look.

He stared at me in deep thought for a few moments before running a hand through his hair coolly and shifting on his feet. "There's nothing much we can do about it at this point. I don't give a shit about what's happening but if the rumor does escalate because of you then I won't be playing nice anymore either."

And with that being said, he was out the door.

"But you weren't really being nice at all.."