Chapter 17

(Sam Golbach)
I could see the blurry shine of my glasses grow closer as I swam down, forcing my eyes to stay focused on it. It was lodged between a few large rocks and barely hidden by seaweed-like plants, but with my poor vision there was a larger chance of losing sight of it. I grabbed the rope-like plant near the bottom of the lake and lunged myself forward, cheering successfully in my head as I reached closer and grabbed onto one of the rocks, trying to pull it off.

It put up a little struggle until it eventually pulled off enough to free one of the temple of my glasses. My lungs however, began to burn. Silently giving me the message that I should hurry up. I suppressed the feeling, trying to tolerate it as much as I can as I grabbed my belonging and began to swim to the surface. However as I began to kick upwards, an excruciating sting stuck through my leg and suddenly, swimming didn't seem like an option anymore.

A whimper of pain escaped my lips and water rushed through, shortening the little oxygen I had left, and rushing into my already burning lugs that were as desperate for air as I was. I whipped my head down, watching blood float in the water around me, and did the one thing I shouldn't have done: panic. Fear and pain began to fill my eyes as my breathing became harder and I tried to swim upwards. But the pain was inevitable.

I reached my hand out desperately, reaching for who knows what at this point as my feet gave out and I began to sink. My vision began to darken. Is this it? Is this how it all ends? Today? Like this? My eyes began to shut, opening forcefully but shutting again as strength and air left my body..

(Colby Brock)
He was taking too long.

Too long to be humanly possible. No human is capable of staying this long without air. Something's wrong. My eyes roamed sharply over the lake's surface, searching thoroughly for any sign of the blond idiot. My fist clenched by my side as time began to tick and no sign of him made an appearance.

And then I saw it. Blood. "Fuck." I hissed, dropping everything and sprinting towards the water as my heart began to slam against my chest in concern. Reaching the end of the dock, I barreled into the lake, water stinging my body as I dived into the deep and scanned around for Sam. My legs were screaming for me to stop as I kicked down but I pushed further.

Catching sight of the unconscious boy near the bottom, I swam over, wrapping my arms around his waste and pulling us to the surface with an aching body and a pounding headache. Come on, sparkles, stay with me. A gasp of air left me when my head reached the surface and I pulled Sam's body closer to me as I dragged us towards the deck.

I pulled his body up onto the wooden platform, laying him down on his back and tilting his chin and head upwards. I pressed my lips onto his and breathed in four times. I repeated the procedure until he let out a struggled cough and gasped for air. Relief immediately rushed through my veins when he opened his eyes and I instantly turned him over so he could rid of the water in his lungs.

I ran a stressed hand through my wet hair and took in a deep breath. Leaning back on my hands, I let Sam collect himself and waited until he was calm enough to speak and stand up. However, I didn't expect him to lunge himself at me, tying his arms around my torso and clinging onto me tightly. I wasn't used to such intimate contact, so it wasn't unexpected that I tensed up immediately. And then he began to sob.

A flash of pain struck through my heart as Sam sobbed into me, his body shaking rapidly and his arms tightening around me, like reaching for reality. I hesitated. I let out a gentle sigh and reluctantly wrapped my arms around his back, allowing him to cling onto me. "You're okay, it's okay. " I whispered softly to him. "I've got you."

I could feel his body start to relax in my hold. Staring down at him lightly, my eyes caught onto his bloody leg and I frowned. "You just love putting me in these type of situations, don't you." I grumbled, earning a sad chuckle from the blonde boy. "Thank you, Colby.." He whispered and sniffled quietly, finally calming down enough to pull away and wipe his tears. I nodded curtly.

I stood up. "Come on, we have to get you cleaned up." I started, flipping my hair back before stretching out a hand. He took it and pulled himself up, hissing in pain when he leaned on his bad leg. "Throw your arm over my shoulders." I ordered, leaning down a little so he could manage. He did as told, throwing his right arm over my shoulders while I wrapped my arm around his waist, and began guiding us back to camp.

"W-Wait, take off your shirt!" He called out and I raised a brow. "Oh my, at least take me on a date first, Sam." I smirked, making him blush and stammer over his words. "I-I didn't mean it l-like that!" I chuckled quietly and shook my head. Though I knew what he meant, I ignored it.