Chapter 10

~Next Day~
(Sam Golbach)
I was back at Mr. Haul's office, nervously fiddling with my fingers as I waited outside patiently. I came to collect the work we'd be given for the next two weeks and thank Mr. Haul for still giving us a chance even when we didn't deserve it.

I was grateful but also wished to have joined in with this activity. I heard a few mumbles and muttering from inside before the door opened and Mr. Haul escorted a lady out. Probably someone's mum. He walked back into his office when she left and called me in.

I let out a little sigh and put up a little smile as I joined him inside. "Good morning, Sam. Or should I greet you as Mr. Golbach?" He raised a questioning brow making chuckle and shake my head. "Sam, is fine thank you."

"Very well then." He cleared his throat. "So, have you two decided? I don't see your friend with you." He raised a curious brow and I shrugged lightly. "We, um, decided to-"

Knock knock

I glanced at the door in confusion and stepped aside when Mr. Haul sighed heavily and stood up. Before he could reach the door though, it was forcefully opened and I stared in shock as an unexpected guest walked in.

"Mr. Brock. Glad of you to join us." Mr. Haul nodded, letting out another sigh and taking his seat as he pinched the bridge of his nose before looking up and smiling. At this point even the Principal just had to accept Colby's attitude. Or he was just too kind and tolerant for his own good.

"Alrighty then. Now that you've joined us, Sam was just telling me about your final decision. What will it be?" He asked, raising his brows in curiosity as he glanced between Colby and I.

I parted my lips, the words right on my tongue and ready to spill when Colby caught them for me and beat me to it. "We'll go."

I snapped my head towards Colby with wide eyes but he didn't bear me a glance. Mr. Haul clapped his hands once and grinned. "That's good to hear. Now, scramble along so I could get back to my.. work." He waved us off, standing up and guiding us out of his office cheerfully.

"Have a good breakfast, Mr. Haul." Colby called from ahead of me and Mr. Haul's eyes widened, looking around frantically to see if anyone else heard.

I sent an apologizing smile to Mr. Haul and ran after Colby. "W-Why did you do that?" I asked when I followed up with his pace. He shrugged. "We all knew about it anyways-"

"No." I shook my head. "I mean w-why'd you say we'll go? You said you didn't want to." He rolled his eyes and stoped walking. "I can change my answer if you-"

I cut him off daringly, my excitement pushing me to wrap him in a hug and hold myself from squealing and jumping cheerfully. He stiffened under my touch almost instantly and I could feel his burning gaze on me.

"Thank you." I whispered, unwrapping myself and running off to meet with Kelly. To say I wasn't peeing myself was an overstatement. I've never been so afraid of doing something like that but I was too happy to care. And if I do get hurt for it later then I'd rather enjoy my time now than sulk over it.

-
"Flashlight"
"Flashlight."

"Toothbrush"
"Toothbrush."

"Blueberry muffin?"
"No muffin." Kelly laughed and I pouted. "You're mean." I sniffled dramatically and he punched my shoulder lightly with a chuckle. "I told you. I'll get you one tomorrow."

"But I want one noww." I complained and he rolled his eyes. "No sweets at night, Sammy!" Mom called from downstairs and I narrowed my eyes at Kelly. "You ratted me out."

"Woah woah," he raised his hands, backing up. "I'd never do that to you, Sam. Don't you trust me, bae-?" "BAE?! YOU'RE-"

"NO!" Kelly and I yelled in union and Ben burst out in laughter, exposing his hiding spot. A thud from below silenced our bickering and the realization hit us. We were being too loud.

"I'll handle this, Mrs. Golbach loves me." Kelly said with pride and Ben and I looked at each other with a shrug. I hid behind Kelly in fear while Ben ran into the bathroom, leaving us to fend for ourselves. Traitor!

"S-She's coming." I whispered, clutching Kelly's shirt nervously. A little creek echoed in the hall leading to my room and I stiffened. "Hello, Kelly dear." Momma's sweet voice spoke and I winced.

"Unless you want to be included in this issue I keep having, I suggest you step aside please." Kelly shook his head. "No can do, Mrs. G."

Silence.

"Ow,ow,ow,ow,ow,ow, okay! Okay! I'm sorry!" Kelly whimpered, as momma dragged him away by the ear and sat him on the twisty-chair.

"H-Hi, momma." I smiled forcefully, wrapping her in a hug and squeaking out a little 'sorry' when she walked over. That always works. "Let me off this time?" I asked with puppy eyes, using the smallest voice I could muster.

Finally budging, she sighed and muttered a 'fine'.

Kelly and I met winning gazes and grinned.

1-Sam 0-Mom
. . .

The mixed sounds of students chatters and yells bustled through the courtyard as we gathered up, waiting for the rest of the busses to park in. They were a bit delayed due to faint traffic but very close to eliminate any impatience or disappointment we were feeling.

I was overly excited and slept extra early the night before just for this occasion. Kelly even slept over so we could leave for school together. We needed to choose the best seats after all. One thing we were lucky with was getting to sit wherever and with whoever we wanted, with the condition of meeting up with our partners afterwards.

Speaking of partner.

I looked around frantically for Colby, wondering if he decided not to come after all and ditch me. Truthfully speaking, I did want him to come too.

Feeling an elbow suddenly nudge my side, I scowled ready to shout at Kelly, instead meeting icy blue eyes that definitely didn't belong to my best friend. I grinned brightly when Colby raised a brow and I shook my head.

The rushing engines of busses pulling in erupted cheers from the students and I met Kelly's grin with one of my own.

This was going to be the best trip ever.

Maybe even better than I thought it's going to be.