Chapter 9

(Sam Golbach)
The rest of the school day passed fairly quickly and we were on our last session of the day when we were told we'd have to go to the cafeteria for some sort of announcement Principal Haul wanted to make and gather us for.

Many of the us were panicking while others were excited but it was a really vague instruction coming here and no event seemed to be going on for a student gathering to be called. Hence why Kelly and I looked at each other with visible confusion as we followed the rest of the higher-grade school population to the cafeteria.

When we arrived, the teachers let us in one by one and ordered the majority of us to take seats on the cafeteria benches while the rest to sit on the ground to avoid any issues and complications. Not the best solution but no one argued.

Kelly and I were fortunately included in the majority that took the benches and waited patiently as we watched Principal Haul mutter some things to the staff and clear his throat when the room fell silent.

"Good day, everyone. Or good afternoon should I say." He greeted, wearing his signature kind smile. Everyone muttered a greeting back. "As you all know, spring is just around the corner and the rain is letting up. So the and and I got an offer from a close associate of mine we couldn't resist. Or as you youth say these days, 'I know a guy'." He winked making us chuckle.

"So it was decided that the school will be spending two weeks at a camp site-" he began, getting cut off by some cheers and mostly groans. Principal Haul rolled his eyes lightly and tapped the microphone so a loud screech silenced the room.

"Before you could dwell and complain, allow me to mention that the meals and desserts served will all be taken care of by the school. To put it short, the food is free." The cafeteria erupted in lively cheers and Principal Paul pinched the bridge of his nose with a defeated sigh.

I chuckled and looked at Kelly with a large grin. A smile just as big mirrored on his face and we high-fived, doing a little cheer dance.

"However," oh no. "the students attending detention are to meet me in my office after this announcement please." He spoke firmly.

Kelly's and my smile instantly dropped and I sighed. Kelly looked at me guiltily and ruffled my hair, mouthing a little 'sorry'. I sent a small assuring smile and followed the rest of the students out, but parting to head to Mr. Haul's office.

When we arrived, we were told to wait outside for a little bit, when I spotted Colby walking towards us from the end of the hall. I give a little smile of encouragement but he ignored me and walked past both Kelly and I, opening the door and walking in with no care.

I watched him with wide eyes and Kelly facepalmed beside me. "Idiot"
I smacked Kelly's arm and tried to glare at him but obviously failed. I heard a deep sigh from inside and Mr. Haul call us in.

"Take a seat, gentlemen." He gestured to the two unoccupied seats. Kelly and I did as told and sat down. He cleared his throat. "As you three know, students who have detention are supposedly not allowed to join in activities," He started.

"But according to the owner of the campsite, these two weeks are our only opportunity. And we want everyone to be there." He said, tangling his fingers and staring at the three of us. I glanced down at my hands before feeling a poke on my thigh and looked at Kelly. He sent an assuring smile and I relaxed.

I looked back at Mr. Haul. "Now I've already spoken with the rest of the students who had detention and decided to let them attend this trip. The same applies for you three." He smiled lightly and Kelly and I perked.

"W-We get to go?!" I asked excitedly and he nodded firmly with a faint smile. I turned to give Kelly another high-five when we were hit with a 'however'. Of course, a condition..

"If you wish to attend this trip, you should will all be grouped in two according to my choice. So whether you're paired with an enemy or a friend will be of my decision."

"The other students are already paired, however if one of the two do not attend then their partner will be forced to be withdrawn from the event and given assignments to complete in due time." He continued.

"But that's wont be fair! W-What if-" "-Sam." Mr. Haul called firmly and I stopped talking, furrowing my brows and looking down. "These are the conditions that should met if you wish to attend this activity. Otherwise will be no exception."

"Okay, s-sorry sir." I mumbled, fiddling with my fingers distractingly. "Alright. As I mentioned, I've already decided the groups. So, Mr. Ryson," he gestured to Kelly "will be grouped with Mr. Cori Walters since all the groups were occupied except for him and Mr. Brock and Mr. Golbach will be grouped together. If you have any issue with the pairings then you may happily come to my office tomorrow and demand that extra work. That's all, gentlemen, you're excused."

The three of us mumbled a 'thank you, sir' and walked out of his office. Kelly had to excuse himself too, saying he had to look for Cori and tell him about the pairing and the trip. I didn't doubt Kelly would find him as he did stay after-school to help out in the photography club.

That only left me and Colby who was already on his way out of the school building. I followed behind him nervously as I thought up what I should say. Should I just ask him?

Gulping silently, I walked a little faster until I was walking by him and cleared my throat. "So.." I tried but he stayed silent. Didn't even batt a glance. "U-Um.. you'll.. y-you're going, to the trip right..?" I asked with the smallest voice I could muster and glanced up at him briefly.

My eyes met his for a quick instant and he continued looking ahead of him as we exited the school and began walking into the car-park. "Colby-"

"I'm not." My heart dropped. I looked at him with pleading eyes and sped up the pace. "B-But that'll mean I-I can't go either." I complained. "That's not my problem." He shook his head and continued walking.

I forced my pathetic tears back and daringly wrapped my hand around his wrist, stopping him from walking. I held back the urge to release and apologize and instead kept a soft, half-confident hold.

"I-I know I sound selfish a-and I'm sorry, but it would mean so much to me if we could. I-I promise I won't bother you a-and I'll make sure to stay out of your way. I just.. really want to go on this trip. I-"

"Golbach. Let go." He muttered and I did. "Sorry, have a good day." I murmured slowly, turning in my own direction and walking off with my hands clutching my bag straps.

I shouldn't have be so selfish.
I'll apologize again tomorrow.