Chapter 6

(Sam Golbach)
Next day rolled in quickly and the week felt short and fast. It was a mood lift for me and I was relatively excited for the day. But something felt wrong. The hall was oddly empty and there were fifteen minutes left until classes start. I frowned in thought. Did I miss something?

"Shouldn't you get that idiot friend of yours?" A familiar voice from behind me spoke making me jump and turn around to face them. "Kelly?" I asked, visibly confused as I tried to collect my thoughts.

Colby shrugged and nudged his head towards the far end of the hall where faint chattering and cheers erupted from. And then I realized. "Kelly.." I paled, dropping my stuff carelessly and sprinting down the corridor.

My heart was pounding with nervousness and fear as I ran, pushing through a tight crowd of students forming a circle around the commotion when I reached. I kept trying to push my way through but I was shoved back again, tripping over students' shoes before I was caught with firm hands and stood up straight.

Colby shoved a few of the students next to me out of the way and guided me towards the front. My heart stuttered when I spotted Kelly, his nose bleeding and cheek turning red from a hit. Surely, Dale was his opponent and seemed to have the upper hand as he was bigger and much more skilled in beating people to a pulp.

Kelly shouted something over the chattering and cheers of the students but it still wasn't clear and clearly not an apology. Dale grabbed him by the shirt harshly and raised his fist to land another hit but my feet were already moving me before he could and I found myself rushing in between them and spreading my arms out like it could stop the fight. It looked cooler in my head.

Dale scoffed with a smirk plastered on his face and stretched his neck side to side like he was preparing himself for another beating. Possibly mine. "Look who's back for more." He chuckled, taking a step towards me.

"The hell are you doing?" Kelly hissed from behind me, trying to push me back but I wouldn't have it and stood my ground. "Leave us alone, Dale." I muttered, trying to ease the panic rising in my chest.

A hand crumbled my shirt in a fist and yanked me forward, making me gasp when I was lifted onto my tippy-toes. I tried prying at Dale's hand to let me go but he only gripped me tighter and leaned in closer to my face. I blushed in discomfort when he leaned in more, not removing his gaze off my face before suddenly smirking and bursting out a loud cackle that grabbed everyone's attention once again. Not like he lost it in the first place.

"L-Let me go." I stuttered, prying at his grip and trying to get away from him. Too close! Too close! Dale ran a finger under my eye before shoving me back and raising it so everyone could see. "The fag wears makeup, what a surprise!" He yelled out erupting laughter from around us.

I looked away, straightening my shirt and turning to tell Kelly to leave when a thud erupted from behind me and the laughter turned into absolute silence.

"I think that's enough." Colby glowered, towering over Dale who held his nose with painful groans. Dale's friends slowly started to surround Colby but the bell rang before it could get even more violent and students began to scatter.

"You four, my office. Now."

-
I was out of place.

I wasn't supposed to be here, sitting in the principals office with three other violent-addicted douches. Mom's gonna hit me for using such language. I wasn't supposed to be getting lectured nor was I supposed to be given after school detention.

But here I am and I was trying so hard not to burst into a panicking/rambling fit. I've embarrassed myself enough-

"-Sam!" Principal Haul called, snapping me out of my thoughts and making me jump. Dale snickered from beside me but groaned when Kelly kicked him in the shin. That instantly pulled the already stuttering trigger and both Dale and Kelly were now standing, glaring at each other with hateful eyes.

"You little shit-" Dale lunged, reaching for Kelly but was yanked back down into his seat while Kelly was shoved back, now separated by a visibly irritated Colby who seemed like he could snap in a matter of moments.

Mr. Haul sighed in defeat and cleared his throat. "It's the only logical thing to do, so all of you are going to attend a week of detention starting by Monday. As for Dale, you'll be suspended for two days. Aside from choosing to use violence in school such indecent words are not allowed on my grounds and would get you expelled if it weren't for this being the first time."

"Oh, trust me it isn't-" Kelly started but I instantly glared at him and he quieted down. "Thank your, Mr. Haul. I'll make sure this won't happen again." I mumbled, standing up when he finally dismissed us and walked out.

I walked towards my locker with my head down, trying my best to process everything and to keep my tears in. I hated crying, and I've been feeling like I wanted to throughout this full week. It's frustrating.

Hearing light footsteps come in sync with mine, I ignored Kelly next to me and decided to finish the rest of the day with no care and head to the park to cool my head.

Everything was going bad and I was starting to worry about the rest of my school year.