Chapter 16

(Sam Golbach)
Yesterday's campfire ended up keeping most of us up for the rest of the night until we decided to head back to our respective huts. Colby and I were one of the few who left a little earlier however, which was a good idea because we'd have had to bare the consequences of crushing headaches and droopy eyes begging for more rest through the rest of the day.

Shutting my book with a little yawn, I stretched my arms above my head and sighed happily as I checked yet another book of my reading list. Swinging my feet of the bed, I packed away my book and grabbed a pair of shorts and the hoodie closest to me before getting dressed and deciding to head out grab breakfast while Colby was still sleeping. It still was quite soon into the day so most of campsite was deserted except for the early morning birds that somehow managed to got more sleep than the rest.

I made my way over to the breakfast area, grabbing two tinfoil packages to fill in with our breakfast meals. I was a very decisive person when it came to picking food which resulted with me usually holding up the line. Like right now. I gasped in surprise when I felt a little tap on my shoulder and looked over with an apology on the tip of my tongue. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was holding up the line- Cori?" I brightened, when I noticed the boy next to me.

"H-Hi," He waved shyly and smiled. "I- I'm sorry for b-bothering you b-but I had a question I wanted t-to ask you.. A-About Kelly." He looked away shyly and I noticed the little blush creeping up on his cheeks. I frowned. "Is he.. bothering you?" I asked worriedly but he quickly shook his head, eyes wide. "No, no but.. I-I was wondering if.. d-does he have a, y-you know, girlfriend or is he w-with someone right n-now? I-I don't mean t-to pry.. I-I was just w-wondering." He rambled nervously making me chuckle softly and smile. "He isn't, and it's okay."

My heart warmed when I saw him visibly relax and smile brightly. "Better ask him out before its too late though." I winked with a chuckle making his eyes widen. "O-Oh! Um y-yes, t-thank you, Sam!" He waved as he ran off and I shook my head with a faint smile. I just hope it works out for both of them. They'd be adorable together. I'll make sure to tease Kelly about it later. I giggled, finally choosing a simple yet filling dish and walking back to hut.

Colby had just woken up when I entered and I had to refrain from laughing when I spotted the mess of hair sticking out in different silly directions. I pulled up all the blinds so light shined through and took a seat at the table in the corner. "I'll eat your share if you don't hurry up." I teased and Colby stared at me with an emotionless expression before swinging his legs off the bed and walking past, muttering a "shut up" and grumbling unwelcomed slurs under his breath.

Eventually realizing he'd have to get done and ready eventually, he walked out in a different set of clothes and with a more controlled hairstyle. It amazed me how quickly he could look good and with almost little to no effort. I felt myself heat up and shook my head repeatedly, ridding of the redness of my cheeks.

-
"Can we really go?" I squeaked brightly, searching for any sign of him lying or possibly tricking me. Colby rolled his eyes for the third time since I asked and I let out an excited squeal. "Wait- what changed your mind t-though? You said you didn't want to go." I asked in confusion but he simply shrugged. "I wanna push you in." I rolled my eyes. "The real reason. We don't have to if you don't want to, really-" "-Sam! I said it's fine, we can go. Besides, I'd rather not be stuck in here with you all day." He sighed, irritated. "Hurry up already."

"O-Okay, I'm sorry." I muttered, grabbing my things and walking into the bathroom to change. I ignored the little sting in my heart as I changed into my bathing-suit and smiled lightly to myself. Hey, we're going swimming!

I exited when I finished getting dressed and waited for Colby to get changed as well before we set off in the direction of the lake. Mr. Dickson had recommended it on the first day of our arrival here and it didn't really come into use until today. He said it was personally one of his favorite spots here since you get to hear the soothing splashes of a waterfall and basically smell nature in itself when you got there. Like it was one of the purest spots to ever be discovered. And it seemed exactly that as we pushed through dangling vines and were met by, surely, one of the most stunning places I've ever seen.

Pure, clean water was the first thing you see upon coming here, aside from the lily-pads that floated softly across the clear surface. And as Mr. Dickson had mentioned, a large waterfall stood at right side of the lake, the rush of water dropping down giving out a calming sense of relaxation. Colby and I followed the stone path closer, spotting the multi-colored coral fish swimming beneath the water and under a wooden dock stretching into the lake. It was absolutely fascinating.

Walking up to the dock, I gently dip my foot in. It's warm.

Suddenly, the towels got snatched out of my grasp and a pair of strong arms shoved me forwards. I reached out with a yelp, trying to grab onto anything as I fell, instantly getting submerged in the water.

I allowed myself to sink a little deeper, mentally scowling at the boy laughing above the surface, completely dry if I may add. I smirked to myself when a plan popped into mind and praised myself for doing these water-breathing exercises with Kelly.. That's a story for another time.

I shut my eyes after a few more moments when I saw the faint shadow of the figure above moving quickly and figured Colby would jump in, in 3.. 2.. 1.

A strong set of arms wrapped themselves around my waist and hoisted me upwards, swimming us both to the surface forcefully. I gasped dramatically when my head was out of water and moved wet hair out my eyes, meeting Colby's signature death glare but also a hint of relief. It made me happy knowing he cared. And I suddenly started feeling guilty. Oh, Sam.

I clutched Colby's wet shirt when he let go of me and went to climb out, silently pleading him to stay. "You're a piece of shit." He seethed, pushing me back into the water and climbing out. "It was just a joke."

I sighed sadly, going to climb out when I realized something was missing.

"My glasses!" I gasped, swimming back into the deep and diving under.