Chapter 9: A Prince's Magic

Dazai couldn't explain the amount of relief that had washed over him when Chuuya felt just as warm as he remembered.
  He hadn't even realized it but he had started crying. Sitting up, he chuckled to himself. He hadn't cried in a long time...
  He squeezed Chuuya's hand in both of his, unable to wipe the smile from his face.
  Slowly, Chuuya's fingers closed around Dazai's hand.
  Dazai looked at his face, hoping he would open his eyes and he'd see the ocean blue irises again.
  He scooted the chair closer to the bed as he turned to the side letting go with one hand. He gripped Chuuya's arm gently, whispering nonsense to himself.
  Dazai handn't even realized how much time had passed until Elise opened the door, rubbing her eyes and in a nightgown.
  "What you doing up?" Dazai asked as he glanced at the clock.
  She entered in sluggishly, "I forgot to come see him today..."
  Dazai chuckled, "well, that would have been yesterday, it's past midnight."
  She paused, staring up at him with tired eyes, "you seem happy..."
  Dazai got a confused look, "what?"
  "Nevermind," she waved her hand as if pushing his question away. She moved to stand at the edge of the bed, "are his eyes still...?"
  Dazai shrugged, "he hasn't opened them in a while."
  Chuuya's chest rose as he took a deep breath, and fell as he exhaled back out.
  Elise nodded, then she looked at Chuuya's hand and noticed that Dazai's was there too.
  "You..." she started, but didn't finish.
  "You should go to bed. You can't visit him in the morning if you can't get out of bed," he ruffled her already crazy hair.
  She yawned, "okay..." she stumbled out of the room.
  Dazai giggled to himself as he looked back over at Chuuya, "Elise really cares for you... how is it that you are so good with children?... Maybe it's because you're such a free spirit like them..." Dazai paused, "or is it because you really are just a child..."
  Dazai sighed and he rested his forehead against their hands, "wake up quick, Chuuya..."
  It may have just been Dazai, but Chuuya seemed to tighten his grasp just a bit.

——

  Early in the morning, Kouyo came in with Elise to find Dazai still holding onto Chuuya's hand tightly.
  He didn't even seem to have noticed them yet. He was smiling down at Chuuya and rubbing his hand gently.
  "Good morning!" Elise sang as she trotted over to Chuuya's side.
  Dazai looked up at her, keeping his smile, "morning."
  "Glad to see you've kept him company," Kouyo smiled as she walked around the bed to the other side. She caressed Chuuya's forehead with the back of her index finger.
  Dazai let go of Chuuya's hand and leaned back, "it wasn't difficult or anything."
  Elise shrugged, "I guess not, since he's just sleeping..."
  Dazai nodded with a yawn.
  Kouyo noticed something.
  Chuuya's eyes closed tighter as his nose crinkled up. Then, he blinked his eyes open, revealing the smallest, black pupils with no irises.
  Dazai sat foreword, worry and concern coloring his face.
  Elise let out a quiet gasp as she leaned foreword.
  Kouyo carefully placed her hand on Chuuya's shoulder, "Chuuya?..."
  Chuuya blinked multiple times, "Ane-San?..." he mumbled out the words sluggishly.
  Kouyo's eyes filled, "how are you feeling?"
  "Ugh... like I just got ran over by twelve school busses..." he lifted up his arm and kneaded his forehead, "ow... even this hurts..."
  "You're okay!" Elise jumped up and down.
  "Hey, calm down..." Dazai said quietly, putting a hand on her.
  Chuuya dropped his arm and blinked several times again, "Elise?"
  "Yes! I'm here, too!" She leaned over the bed towards him.
  He turned his head in her direction, "what?..."
  Kouyo squeezed his shoulder, "what's wrong?..." a bit of worry creeped into her words.
  "I..." he paused, looking over towards Kouyo, "don't think I can see..." He lifted his hand up and held it out towards her.
  Kouyo took his hand, "you're... blind?..."
  Chuuya furrowed his brow, "it sure seems that way..."
  "That's not allowed!" Elsie scrambled up onto the bed. Then, promptly gave Chuuya "the biggest hug ever".
  Chuuya looked a little shocked at the sudden movement but hugged her back, "how long was I out?"
  "A few days," Kouyo squeezed his hand, "we were all worried sick about you, what happened?"
  Chuuya got a solemn look as he rubbed the back of the now crying Elise's head, "I'll tell you later..."
  "You better," Kouyo warned.
  Chuuya chuckled weakly, "glad you haven't suddenly become a different person..."
  Elise backed up, "you owe me a shopping trip!"
  "Huh?" Chuuya looked towards her, his eyes searching for something they couldn't find.
  Elise folded her arms, "you heard me."
  Chuuya sighed, laying back, "maybe when I feel better."
  Elise nodded, "but it will happen."
  Chuuya shook his head, smiling, "sure."
  Elise got down, "I'm going to go tell Mori!" She ran out of the room as fast as her little legs could take her.
  Chuuya sighed, "so, what's happened since I've been asleep?"
  Dazai sheepishly took Chuuya's hand in both of his and squeezed lightly. Kouyo looked over and saw he had no expression.
  "Nothing you need to worry about right now," Kouyo said.
  Chuuya looked confused as he tried to figure out who it was, "who else is here?"
  "Why don't you take a guess," Dazai said, a smirk coming to his face.
  Chuuya's brows dipped, "the heck are you doing here?"
  Dazai chuckled, "making sure you don't go and kill yourself first."
  Chuuya rolled his eyes, a smile tugging at his lips, "of course you are." Chuuya held Dazai's hand firmly, "sorry you had to stop me again..."
  Dazai squeezed Chuuya's hand a bit harshly, "and miss the chance to rumage through your drawers? No way!"
  Chuuya frowned, "what did you take?"
  Dazai laughed, "I only brought over a set of clothes for when you can move... and might have given Kouyo your notebook." Dazai let go and slunk away from the bed sinisterly.
  Chuuya sighed in annoyance.
  Kouyo chuckled, "you don't have to worry about it."
  Chuuya shook his head, "this is so stupid."
  Kouyo smiled wider, "I think it was beautiful."
  Chuuya turned his face away from her as pink bled onto his cheeks.

——

  "So... everything just hurts?" Mori inquired.
  "... yes," Chuuya said.
  Mori chuckled, "anywhere specific that it hurts most?"
  Chuuya shook his head as he closed his eyes, "no. Just everywhere..."
  Mori surveyed him again, "and you can't see?"
  Chuuya sighed, "yes. I cannot see."
  Mori nodded, "well... I have no idea what to do."
  Chuuya sighed deeply.
  "Uhm, maybe you're sight will come back slowly, like your consciousness," Mori said.
  Chuuya shrugged, "that would be nice..."
  "I can hardly see the blue at all..." Mori explained as he leaned over Chuuya.
  All Chuuya could do was sigh again.
  "Well, we do know that we can't do, now," Mori turned around.
  "Wait," Chuuya said, clenching his fists, "please... I have to know..."
  Mori chuckled, "we'll see how these next few days go..."
  Chuuya laid back down feeling helpless, "Ane-San wanted an explanation..."
  The sound of Mori's shoes tapping against the carpeted floor stopped.
  Chuuya pursed his lips, "I... don't know what to tell her..."
  "The truth," Mori said as he started walking again.
  Chuuya clasped his hands together nervously. He didn't know if that was a good idea.