Chapter 11: Bothersome

Chuuya groggily opened his eyes, but could still see nothing. He sighed to himself, wondering what time it was.
  He was about to move when he noticed the pressure against his hand.
  Chuuya paused as his mind registered that someone had their fingers laced with his. He squeezed their hand but nothing happened.
  Chuuya tried to recall how everyone's hands felt and narrowed it down to two people. The quickest way to check who it was, was by checking their wrist.
  Chuuya carefully moved his other hand to their wrist and felt the soft fabric of bandages. Chuuya sighed as he dropped his hand limply. If Dazai was asleep there was no way he would get his hand back.
  He realized the angle that Dazai was holding his hand was strange. Chuuya pressed his hand to the mattress before sliding it across the bed, searching.
  He could feel Dazai's fluffy and unruly hair against his fingertips. Chuuya found his way to the top of Dazai's head and laid his hand there.
  He was made aware of the quiet sound of Dazai's even breathing.
  Chuuya was pretty sure that Dazai was sitting in the chair with his head laid against the bed just about half a foot away from Chuuya.
  Chuuya raked his fingers through Dazai's hair, trying to envision what he looked like. But it was in vain.
  He found himself sighing again as he moved onto his side.
  "Wow... Never thought I'd be the one getting pet." Suddenly, Dazai's amused voice broke the silence.
  Chuuya recoiled his hand, "you're awake?"
  "Have been," Dazai said as his weight left the bed. "I'm supposed to be watching you, you know."
  Chuuya frowned, "shouldn't you be sleeping, too?"
  Dazai chuckled, "no."
  "What time is it anyway?" Chuuya asked, tugging his hand, trying to tell Dazai to let go.
  Dazai only tightened his grip on Chuuya's hand, "too early for you to be awake. You should try to sleep for a few more hours."
  Chuuya rolled his eyes, "like I'm going to take your word for it."
  Dazai sighed, "Kouyo might be here in an hour or so, though. She likes to be early."
  Chuuya rolled onto his back, "Ane-San said you're the one who woke me up..."
  Dazai didn't say anything for a moment, then he giggled, "I'd just call it a coincidence. Did she tell you anything else that happened? Oh, she probably didn't, trying to protect your dignity~"
  "What?! What happened?!" Chuuya felt even more awake now that he felt personally attacked.
  Dazai laughed, "it was so funny. It all started when you weren't showing any signs of life at all. Elise came up with the theory that you needed a Prince Charming to wake you up."
  Chuuya's lips curled upwards, "that's so like her..."
  "So she went searching for one for, like, a day and half, only to find nothing." Dazai took a breath, "then, Elise came running in one morning all full of energy. Then she told me that I was Prince Charming."
  Chuuya groaned, "what the heck..."
  Dazai laughed, "and so she told me, and I quote, "just kiss him already," and I was like, "no way, Chuuya would kill me if he found out", then Kouyo came in and said that it had to do with my skill and that just touching you might do something."
  "How do I know you aren't just pulling this nonsense out of nowhere?" Chuuya asked, trying to take his hand back again.
  Dazai was relentless and kept holding on, "you can ask Kouyo or Elise and they'll tell you the same thing. Anyways, so, I touched you and nothing happened. But after I moved away your eyes opened."
  Chuuya looked perplexed as he sorted through the information.
  "Like I said. It's probably just a coincidence that you opened your eyes just then."
  Chuuya nodded slowly, "yeah... probably..."
  Dazai giggled mischievous, "you wanna know what Kouyo told me?"
  Chuuya froze, "what the hell did she tell you?"
  Dazai laughed, "she told me that someone had a huge crush on you~"
  Chuuya paused, momentarily looking confused, then he seemed to understand, "oh. That." He looked to the side as if trying to avoid it.
  Dazai poked his arm lightly, "ehehe~"
  Chuuya sighed, "and why is that important right now?"
  Dazai shrugged, "dunno. Just needed something to tease you about."
  Chuuya sighed in annoyance.
  "You know, I was expecting you to be a lot more aggressive when you woke up." Dazai's voice got closer.
  Chuuya shrugged, "I'm too tired to hit you."
  Chuuya felt Dazai's weight on the bed again, assuming his sat down. Dazai ruffled Chuuya's hair, "and you hardly respond to my teasing either! Chuuya's becoming boring!"
  Chuuya scoffed, "whatever." He closed his fist and pressed his hand against Dazai's arm, "there. I punched you."
  Dazai laughed quietly, "okay. I guess that counts."
  Chuuya sighed tiredly.
  Dazai paused for a moment, "you know, I don't think I've ever seen you with your girlfriend."
  "My what?" Chuuya asked.
  "Dang... you really don't have one..." Dazai sounded disappointed, "I was hoping to catch you off guard and get you all flustered..."
  Chuuya exhaled through his nose, "I doubt you have one either, enemy-of-all-women."
  Dazai chuckled, "nope. Too much commitment for me."
  Chuuya closed his eyes, feeling tired again.
  "Why is it that you don't have one, Chuuya? You seem like someone who could easily-"
  "Unlike you, I have a job that I plan on keeping. And it's something I'm good at and useful for."
  Dazai didn't like the bite in Chuuya's accusing tone. "Ouch, my pride..."
  Chuuya smirked, "like you had any to begin with."
  Dazai smiled as he squeezed Chuuya's hand, "there he is."
  Chuuya chuckled under his breath, "never left."
  "Oh! Is Chuuya afraid of being in a relationship?!" Dazai gasped.
  "What? No."
  Dazai giggled, "is Chuuya scared that his ideal significant other wouldn't like his temper and how short he is~"
  "Shut up!" Chuuya pushed against Dazai's side, "that is not why I'm single."
  Dazai continued with his teasing, "or maybe he's afraid of being touched!" Dazai drummed his fingers against Chuuya's stomach.
  "Hey, stop that!" Chuuya was able to grab Dazai's arm with surprising precision.
  Dazai laughed, "I know you're just focused on your career... among other things..."
  "Like what?"
  Dazai giggled, "drinking."
  Chuuya sighed, "dang... it's going to be really hard to do that now..."
  Dazai patted him on the head, "there, there. You'll live without your precious wine."
  Chuuya sighed again, but offered no words.
  Dazai paused, maybe it was the lack of sleep that made him want to tell the truth but he felt he should. "It's probably because of what you are, isn't it?"
  Chuuya paused, his brows dipping, "maybe..."
  "I mean, gods aren't supposed to feel romantically towards humans, right?... especially you..." Dazai said slowly.
  Chuuya nodded, "I'd probably end up hurting someone, if anything. I mean, look at..." he stopped.
  Dazai was sure Chuuya was about to bring up the fact that so many people had left or betrayed him. Dazai knew that he was one of those people as well.
  "Hey, get some sleep," Dazai said quietly, "I'm sure there's a lot Kouyo wants to talk about..."
  "What about you?..." Chuuya asked, "haven't you been awake for two days straight?..."
  Dazai snorted, "I can last another few hours just fine."
  Chuuya moved back onto his side, "if you say so..."
  Before Chuuya closed his eyes Dazai noticed that his pupils seemed slightly bigger than before. Maybe his sight really would gradually return.