Chapter 19: Sleepover 2 Elctric Boogaloo

"You're going to run into something," Dazai said.
  "I don't need your help," Chuuya seethed, "I can get around just fine by myself."
  "I believe you, but I need to be touching you anyways," Dazai took his arm.
  Chuuya sighed heavily, "I-"
  "Just suffer in silence. I've dealt with enough of your complaining," Dazai said as he started leading Chuuya out.
  Chuuya grumbled quietly to himself. He was holding onto Dazai as loosely as possible, hating that he needed this person at all.

  As Dazai opened the door, he was met with the sight of Elise frantically speaking with Kouyo.
  "And then- and then-"
  "Slow down, Elise..." Kouyo put her hand on Elise's shoulder.
  "And then Dazai kissed his hand instead of his face!" Elise stamped her foot, "he makes me so angry!"
  Dazai chuckled, "speak of the devil, and he arrives."
  Kouyo looked over to them. She sighed as she stood from crouching near Elsie, "I would appreciate it if you wouldn't make Chuuya the subject of Elise's fantasies for too much longer..."
  Dazai smiled, "who, me? I would never."
  Chuuya let go of him, disgusted. He moved farther into the room, hoping to escape from the bandage-waster.
  Chuuya's attempt was in vain becuase Dazai grabbed his arm and went with him.
  Kouyo sighed heavily, "I just hope this works..."
  Dazai smiled, "it probably will. Chuuya was able to see for a bit this morning."
  "Well, that's good." Kouyo nodded slowly.
  "Excuse me," a hoarse voice asked from the doorway.
  Kouyo looked over to see Akutagawa.
  His eyes locked onto Dazai and it looked like he was trying to keep from speaking.
  "What is it?" Kouyo asked.
  He coughed quietly into his hand, "I was sent to request your prescience..."
  "Is it urgent?" Kouyo asked, glancing over at Chuuya.
  Akutagawa nodded, "it would be best if you came soon..."
  Kouyo sighed, "alright..."
  "We haven't even had breakfast yet..." Dazai sighed heavily, "isn't it just horrible, Chuuya? Our poor Ane-San getting dragged away before we eat?"
  "Don't drag me into this," Chuuya said through his teeth.
  Akutagawa, as he left, wondered why Dazai was back... and why he seemed to be clinging to Chuuya.
  Elise whined, "now it won't be as fun!"
  Chuuya shook his head for no apparent reason.
  Dazai pulled a chair out, "here you go," he put Chuuya's hand on it so he knew where it was.
  Chuuya's brows knit together, as if he were thinking hard.
  Elise gasped, "how are you going to eat if Kouyo isn't here?!"
  Chuuya sighed, annoyed.
  "Aww," Dazai nudged Chuuya, "I'll sacrifice my precious time to feed you~"
  Chuuya pushed Dazai's face away, "I'm not hungry." He took his seat.
  Dazai chuckled, "of course you aren't."

——

  "And where have you two been?" Kouyo asked as the door opened.
  "Uh..." Dazai started.
  The room had been rearranged. The bed was against the wall and there was an extra chair in the room.
  "Evening, Kouyo," Dazai smiled.
  Chuuya sighed, letting go of Dazai and moving forward.
  "Wait," Kouyo stood and hurried over to him, "I moved things around in here..."
  Kouyo had Chuuya sit down, "Dazai. Explain. Now."
  Dazai chuckled, "I took him over to the agency to, ya know, give him some sun for once."
  Chuuya rolled his eyes.
  "Dazai, you-" Kouyo started angrily.
  "It was the cutest thing! Kenji made Chuuya a flower crown and-"
  "He's lying," Chuuya shook his head in a disappointed way. "Here," he reached into his pocket and handed Kouyo a small bag.
  "What is it?" She asked untying the strings.
  "Dazai said that the only way to find true happiness is to eat candy," Chuuya sighed. "We got something for Elise, too."
  "You ruined the surprise, Chuuya! How could you?!"
  Kouyo smiled, squeezing Chuuya's hand, "thank you."
  "What surprise?!" Elise's voice came from the doorway.
  Dazai pulled another small bag out of his own pocket, "here you go."
  Elise gasped, "CANDY?!?!"
  Dazai giggled, "see, I told you."
  Chuuya frowned, "whatever."
  Elise looked around the room, "why's is different?"
  "Becuase..." Kouyo said slowly, "I don't particularly trust Dazai..."
  "Oh," Dazai chuckled, "so you're here to chaperone?"
  She nodded, "precisely."
  "I can take care of myself just fine," Chuuya folded his arms, "killing that idiot would be easy."
  "I don't doubt you, Chuuya," Kouyo said.
  "Come on, we're both adults," Dazai interrupted as he made his way over, "we can be held accountable."
  "No. Chuuya can be held accountable. You, on the other hand, cannot."
  "Awwww, why noooot?" Dazai whined, leaning over and draping his arms on Chuuya.
  "But, Kouyo, it'd be weird if someone were watching them," Elise shook her head and her curls shook about.
  Kouyo sighed, "I just..."
  "Hey, Chuuya's not dead or any worse right now. And you weren't with us last night," Dazai reasoned.
  "Exactly," Elise agreed, "besides, Dazai needs to find the perfectly romantic moment to kiss Chuuya. And he can't do that if you're there."
  Dazai froze as Kouyo glared daggers at him.
  Dazai laughed nervously, "Elise, I never actually said I would-"
  "You are." She said firmly.
  Everyone knew that if Elise wanted something to happen, it would happen.
  Chuuya scowled.
  Elise beamed over at Chuuya, "you're gonna be all better soon!"
  Dazai stood and stepped back, not wanting to be murdered by Kouyo.
  "No one even asked me if I was okay with this," Chuuya reached out in Elise's direction.
  "That's because the princess is normally asleep forever," Elise said as she took his hand.
  Chuuya moved his hand onto her head, ruffling her hair, "but I'm already awake, so I don't think I need-"
  "You do." She said.
  Chuuya sighed, "there's no convincing you, huh?"
  "Nope," Elise giggled. "So you should just get it over with."
  Chuuya shook his head, "how about we save it as a last resort?..."
  "Nope," Elise removed Chuuya's arm from her head, "tomorrow. That's your deadline."
  "Deadline? This isn't a job, you know," a smile tugged at the edge of his mouth.
  "Well it is now. And tomorrow, that way if there's someone else you really like you could go give them your first kiss so you wouldn't have to live with it being Dazai." Elise beamed, believing this to be the best idea ever.
  Chuuya sighed, "don't remind me..."
  "Don't worry, Chuuya," Dazai said, "I'll-" he clamped his mouth shut with another glare from Kouyo.
  "You'll what?" Chuuya asked suspiciously.
  "Uhm..."
  "Dazai's going to make it the very best kiss you'll ever get!" Elise climbed into Chuuya's lap, "so don't you dare disappoint him by not kissing back."
  "I don't think I-"
  "If you really want to get out of it that badly, stop being blind," Elise said.
  Chuuya sighed, leaning back, "trust me, if I could, I would have by now..."
  "Well, then, you better get to it," Elsie said as she reached out and took Dazai's hand. Then, she placed his hand on Chuuya's head, "see faster."
  Chuuya almost laughed, "see... faster?..."
  "Yes." Elise said.
  Kouyo sighed quietly to herself. She had the feeling that Dazai, even though he had been joking about it, probably wasn't looking forward to the deadline. Dazai had left the mafia for his own reasons, of course, but that didn't mean he didn't feel bad about never saying goodbye.
  Kouyo knew that Dazai still cared about all of them and didn't want to hurt them... Kissing Chuuya might be more detrimental to Dazai than anything else, she thought.