Chapter 20: Dress Up

"Another day?!"
"Yes..." Chuuya said.
Elise kneaded her forehead, "seriously?..."
Chuuya nodded, "Dazai isn't exactly the most appealing person."
"But he's good looking!"
"Yeah, sure, but his personality..."
"Oh, true..." she pondered, "okay... but only one more day... promise?"
"I promise," Chuuya said.
"You guys are so mean," Dazai said, walking in. "I heard all of that."
"Good," Chuuya smirked, "you have the right to know."
Dazai, offended, walked over, "how could my true love say something so mean?!"
Elise giggled, "it's not like he's lying."
"Ow..." Dazai sat down next to Chuuya.
"Oh!" Elise gasped, "I know what to do today! It'll help you guys, too!"
"What?" Chuuya asked nervously.
"Dazai, come with me! We have to go find Kouyo and Mori!"
Elsie dragged Dazai out of the room.

——

"So... what are we doing?..." Kouyo asked as she stepped in with Elise.
"Yeah, I don't even know..." Chuuya said, standing up.
"We're gonna play dress up! We have to make Chuuya look like a real princess!"
Kouyo almost laughed.
"Excuse me, what?"
"You heard me," Elsie said as she skipped over. She took Chuuya's arm, "come on, Kouyo's going to help me pick out a dress."
"Wait. Hold on." Chuuya stood his ground, "I'm not-"
"Yes you are." Elise said, "someone has to wear all of the dresses that Kouyo bought too small."
Kouyo paused, "it is true that I do have a lot of those..."
"Ane-San!" Chuuya pleaded.
"I'm sorry but... it is sad that none of them will be worn..." Kouyo reasoned.
Chuuya sighed, "this is so embarrassing..."
"But you're pretty feminine. It'll look great!" Elsie said, tugging his arm.
"Gee, thanks. Hey, where did Dazai go?"
"Oh, Mori and Hirotsu are getting him to look like a real Prince! It's too bad you won't be able to see it, though..."
Chuuya almost laughed, "I think I'll be just fine without seeing that."
"Just you wait, Dazai'll be all cleaned up and handsome!"
"Mhm, sure." Chuuya rolled his eyes.

——

Elise was helping Dazai finish up and was complaining about giving them another day...
"But you gotta kiss him while he's blind! Coz then he can't resist!"
"Woah... don't make it weird, Elise."
"Yeah... that was a little weird..." she admitted.
Hirotsu sighed, "why are we doing this again?..."
"Becuase Elise-Chan said so." Mori said as he fixed Dazai's collar. "Are you sure we shouldn't go with white?"
Elsie nodded, "yes. They aren't getting married. Besides, Dazai looks better in tan."
Dazai was clad in a nice suit and actually looked clean, save for his bandages peeking out of his cuffs. Elise was internally in awe of how he actually looked like a prince right out of a fairy tale.
Dazai sighed, "do we really need to get all dressed up?"
"Come on, Dazai. You used to love playing with me." Elise folded her arms.
Dazai crouched down next to her, "yeah, but dressing up isn't exactly going to help his eyes."
"Here, you should do this," Elise tucked a bit of Dazai's hair behind his ear before stepping back and clapping excitedly.
Dazai shook his head, smiling. He remembered when he had done that with his hair when he was with Shibusawa. "You know, Elise, I used to be the princess."
"What? But you aren't feminine at all!"
Dazai chuckled, "you'd be surprised. But Chuuya woke me up a little violently."
"What'd he do?!"
"Punched me in the face," Dazai stood.
Elise giggled, "alright, time to take the prince to see the princess!" Elise took Dazai's hand and started pulling him out.

"Wait right here," Elsie stopped in front of the door, "I have to make sure they're ready." She slipped into the room.
Inside Kouyo was braiding a part of Chuuya's hair.
Chuuya had been dressed up in fluffy blue princess dress. His head turned in Elise's direction.
"Uh-uh! Stay still," Kouyo turned his head as she continued.
"Sorry..." he muttered.
"Oooh! You look so pretty!!!!" Elise scampered over.
Kouyo smiled, "I knew he would." She tied off the braid and pinned it in place with an elegant flower pin to match the dress with a chain attached.
"And one last thing," Kouyo stood in front of Chuuya, "a necklace to bring it all together." She clipped it in the front then turned it around. It hugged his neck snuggly just like his neck belt had.
It seemed like something very odd to have with the dress but it surprisingly went well. It was a ram skull pendant with a leather strap.
Chuuya lifted his hand up to touch it. He seemed confused at first, "where did you..."
"It doesn't matter," Kouyo placed her hand on his shoulder.
"EEEEEEE!" Elise squealed.
Chuuya sighed as he stood. "Is this really necessary...?"
"Yes." Elise said.
"It just feels... a little... revealing..." he rubbed his shoulders.
"That's what you're worried about?" Elise asked.
"... and it's embarrassing to be in a dress... I don't want Dazai- or anyone... to see me..."
"But you look so beautiful," Kouyo reassured him, tucking a tuft of hair behind his ear.
"I'm going to go get Dazai now!" Elise ran out.
Chuuya sighed, "if this doesn't kill me, then I'm probably indestructible."
Kouyo chuckled, "turn this way." And repositioned him.
"Ane-san-"
"Nope." Kouyo stopped him, "we're doing this for Elise."
Chuuya mumbled, "and for Dazai's amusement. He'll never stop teasing me."
"Then he'll be hearing from me," Kouyo said.
Then, the door opened. Chuuya clenched his hands tightly.
"Fair Queen Kouyo," Dazai declared in his most princely voice, "I have come from far far away to ask for your... child's hand..." he bowed deeply in the doorway.
"Oo! Speech!" Elise clapped as she ran in the room quickly.
Kouyo cleared her throat, "so sorry... but I belive your journey has been in vain. I don't think my... child is ready for marriage..."
Chuuya's face continued to get pink as he kept his face from Dazai.
"And you haven't even seen their face," Kouyo chuckled.
"Marriage?" Dazai asked, looking over at Chuuya, "oh, no no no. Pfff. A prince always has to ask for a dance." Dazai walked across the room extending his hand towards Chuuya.
Chuuya, feeling his prescience, turned even farther away.
Kouyo giggled, "they're a bit shy," she prodded Chuuya to turn around.
"I am not. This is just-"
"Come on," Kouyo cooed, "just a few more minutes. Think of how happy Elise will be."
Chuuya grumbled as he turned around, blushing hard from embarrassment.
To resist staring at Chuuya for too long, Dazai took his hand, "well?"
Chuuya paused, "no..."
"Why not?!" Elise asked, sitting down on the bed.
Chuuya hesitated before whispering, his embarrassment increasing, "I don't..."
"I'll teach you," Dazai said, reading his mind. He lifted Chuuya's hand to his face and gently kissed it.
Elise "awww"d quietly with her hands on her cheeks.
Kouyo stepped back to where Elise was, giving them room.
Dazai carefully placed his hand on Chuuya right above his waist, holding onto Chuuya's hand, "here." He took a step back, pulling Chuuya gently along with him.
"Dazai-"
"At least try to play the part," Dazai chuckled, "we don't want to disappoint Elise, right?"
Chuuya sighed as Dazai led him to the side, "I guess..."
"Hey, she did give us an extra day. So, I guess this is our payment to her for it."
Chuuya knit his brows, "I'm really uncomfortable..."
"I can tell," Dazai said, "just... try to ignore it. I promise it's not so terrible."
"You're not the one who has to wear a dress. If anyone were to find out-"
"My lips are sealed," Dazai smiled, "I promise."
Chuuya sighed to himself.
"Okay! That's enough dancing! Kiss already!"
Dazai chuckled, removing his hand from Chuuya's side, "well, that was short-lived."
Chuuya sighed, "thankfully."
"Hurry uuuuup!" Elise kicked her feet.
"Okay, okay," Dazai laughed.
"Hey, wait-" Chuuya took a step back, "we have another day-"
"Calm down, Chuuya," Dazai stepped forward, squeezing his hand, "trust me."
Then, Dazai leaned forward and placed a kiss on Chuuya's cheek.
Elise squealed in delight. But then she stopped, "hey! That's not what I wanted!"
Dazai laughed, pulling Chuuya into a hug, "this is as good as it gets for now."
Elise narrowed her eyes, "for now..."
Chuuya pushed Dazai off, "that's enough of that..."
Elise sighed as she got down, "you guys are so frustrating! Just kiss him already! It can't be that hard!"
Dazai sighed, "but I can't bear to steal a kiss from such a respectable princess without their consent!"
Chuuya frowned, "we've already-"
"Chuuya pleassssssseeeeee!" Elise tugged on his arm.
"Uh-"
"Come on, Elise. Give him some time."
"No...." Chuuya paused, then sighed, "she's right... we need to-"
"Ah- shhh-shhh-shhhhhh!" Dazai pushed his finger against Chuuya's mouth.
"No, he was making a point!" Elise stamped her foot.
"He needs to go change," Dazai turned Chuuya around and pushed him towards Kouyo.
"Right," Kouyo took Chuuya.
"Wait! No!" Elise flailed her arms, "but Chuuya was going to-"
"Well, I'll see you guys later," Dazai quickly left.
"Arghhhhh!" Elise exclaimed in exasperation.
Chuuya sighed, pulling the clip out of his hair.

——

  Dazai walked back in, clothed his regular attire. He sighed as he placed his hands in his pockets.
  Chuuya leaned back in his chair, "you think my sight will come back slower because I haven't really been touching you?"
  Dazai shrugged as he placed his hands over Chuuya's eyes, "did you have any fun at all?"
  "No." Chuuya shook his head, "that was so embarrassing..." He pushed Dazai's hands off and sat forword.
  Dazai took the other chair, "where'd the girls go?"
  "Apparently the second I'm no longer in a dress I'm boring," Chuuy sighed.
  Dazai laughed, "I would agree."
  Chuuya sent him a glare. Then he paused, "hey, Dazai?..."
  "Yes?"
  "Why did you..." Chuuya hesitated.
  "Oh!" Dazai laughed, "that."
  Chuuya waited.
  "Oh, you wanted an explanation?"
  "Yes. I asked you a question." Chuuya shook his head, "geez..."
  Dazai laughed, "you aren't getting one."
  Chuuya sat back, "you're... impossible..."
  "Thanks," Dazai smiled. Then he stole Chuuya's arm.
  Chuuya just sighed again.