Chapter 21: What's this??? Foreshadowing???

"Ranpo?..." he called out as he carefully opened the door.
  "Ah! Poe! I knew you'd come in today!" Ranpo took his feet off the desk and leaned forword slightly as he waved Poe over.
  Poe noticed that the office seemed deserted. "Is everyone really that busy?..." Poe asked as he made his way across the room. "Shouldn't you be helping?..."
  "And miss seeing you?! No way," of course, Ranpo didn't mean it in a personal way. He meant it as in "I don't want to miss out on what you've brought me."
  "B-but still... for it to be so empty..."
  "Oh, that? I sent them all out. I know how nervous you get around a lot of people." He said as he munched on another one of his precious snacks.
  "Ranpo..." Poe felt touched that Ranpo cared enough. "Your Super Deduction truly is amazing..."
  "Oh, I didn't even need to use my skill to know that." He leaned back and spun around in the chair.
  "O-of course, you're just so smart..." Poe clutched the manuscripts tightly to his chest.
  "So? What's the progress?"
  "Well, I finished your first commission...." Poe set down a book, "I'm sorry it took so long... it's just been a little harder to proofread without Karl..." Poe's eyes drifted to the raccoon perch on the back of the chair. "I-I normally read to him what I've done... a second set of ears really helps..."
  Karl hopped down onto the table to greet Poe, who happily pet him.
  "Ah! So that's why you wanted him back so badly!"
  "I would have just written it for you if you asked..." Poe said quietly.
  "Yeah, yeah. I knew that. But Karl likes it here." He stopped spinning, finally.
  "I'm surprised... anyways, I hope it lives up to your expectations... I'm unsure if I really captured your ability in all its glory correctly..." Poe picked up Karl and hugged him gingerly, "I've missed you so much, Karl..."
  "So?" Ranpo leaned over the table, "what about the other ones?"
  "Ah... well..." Karl crawled onto Poe's shoulder as Poe lifted his book to his face bashfully, "those are... a bit harder to write..."
  "Huh?" Ranpo squinted at him, "what are you having trouble with?"
  "Well, you see... I don't personally know them..." Poe stuttered, "so it's m-more difficult to write about them..."
  Ranpo pulled out his glasses and flicked them open.
  Poe watched him excitedly, waiting to see what Ranpo would do.
  Ranpo put his glasses on and squinted through the lenses. Then, his eyes widened, "ohhhhhh! Why didn't you just say so?!"
  "What? What didn't I say?" Poe asked.
  Ranpo put his glasses away, "Karl won't want to go back with you with the way I spoiled him, so why don't you just write it here and I can help you." He patted the chair next to his, "that way it's, how did you say it, up to my expectations?"
  "Yes... that is what I said..." Poe said quietly.
  "Well, hurry up," Ranpo beckoned him over, "get over here and start writing."
  Poe carefully walked over, "are you sure I can be here?..."
  "Hey, I said so, so you can." Ranpo shook his head, "seriously, you should lighten up a little."
  Poe carefully sat down, "right..."
  Karl hopped off of Poe and onto the table. He sat down and started rummaging through Ranpo's snack pile.
  Ranpo smiled like a proud parent down at the raccoon.
  Poe paused before setting down the other books.
  "So? What do you have the most trouble with?"
  "Well... I'm not used to writing... things like this..." he said shyly. "But doing new things is good... I just... need to adjust..."
  "Mmm!" Ranpo nodded, "right, right." He picked up the book Poe had previously set down in front of him, "this is the one about us?"
  "Uh, yes. Though... I'm not sure my memory is accurate... I'd like to hear your side of the story, if you don't mind..." he added.
  "Sure, sure," Ranpo sat back in his chair, "let's see..."