fireworks

ages - 14

robin had asked finney to go to the firework show with him on the 4th of july, and since finney didn't exactly have any other plans for that day, he agreed to come.

robin met finn at his house, and they walked to the meadow near finneys house, where half the town was gathered, to celebrate the night.

it was about 6:30pm when they got there, and it was getting dark already, so the two of them found a spot in the field to place down the blanket they had brought with them.

robins pov

we set up our spot with some snacks we had put in a bag, our blanket, and some pillows from off of my bed.

before the fireworks started, we went for a small walk around the meadow, playing with some of the younger kids there, and helping out with the barbeque.

'hey finn! catch!' i said, throwing a burger at him. he failed to catch it, and it landed sadly on the ground. 'sorry robin!' he said, picking up the burger pieces and putting them in the garbage bin by the barbeque.

he went over to look after a few of the kids who's parents were setting up, while i stayed, helping out with flipping patties at the bbq. 'is he your boyfriend?' one of the dad's that i was friends with asked, motioning his hands towards finney.

'no, hes just a friend.' i replied, quietly. 'you don't seem to happy about that though, do you kid?' he said. 'i guess not, i kind of like him, but im pretty sure he's straight.' i said back, nearly forgetting about the barbeque.

'why don't you just ask him?' i looked up at the dad, confused. 'what if that ruins everything?' 'look, kid, just try it. i mean, if he's straight, that's that. but you can't just assume he is.' the dad shrugged, and walked off. i flipped the last patty, before turning off the barbeque and walked over to our area, where finn was waiting.

he looked at me and smiled. we sat and waited for a few minutes for the fireworks to start. when the first one did, i noticed finney flinch. the same went for the second one, and the third.

i slowly reached over and grabbed his hand, stroking his knuckles. he looked up at me with a shocked look that quickly turned into a smile.

him and i kept staring at each other, before i finally decided to do something. i cupped his cheek in my hand and pressed our lips together. he seemed shocked, so i pulled away.

i worried i had read the situation wrongly. 'im so sorry finn, i-' finney interrupted me by placing his hand on my neck and bringing our lips together again. i was surprised, but i slowly melted into the kiss. we kept kissing for what felt like hours before pulling apart and smiling at eachother.

'i thought you were straight?' i said, with a confused but still smiling face. 'i could say the same about you.' finney replied. 'you wouldn't understand how long ive wanted to do that for robin.' we smiled at eachother before kissing again, forgetting completely about the firework show in front of us.
——————————————————————
546 words