before the basement

3rd person pov

finney blake was always more of an introverted kid, but he used to play baseball every weekend. he used to go to the park with his younger sister gwen. he used to hang out at the arcade with his best friend robin. he definetly preferred being introverted, but he had little bursts of time when he was an extrovert. like a yinyang, there was always that little drop of good in the bad, that little drop of extrovert in an introvert.

but that was before the basement.

------------------

robin arellano was always an extrovert. no doubt about it, robin would much rather spend his time outside doing activities with people than being holed up inside, alone. but that never stopped him from inviting his best friend finney over to watch hour upon hour of slasher movies, and it never held him back from allowing himself to spend time in the school library with a tutor (usually finney) trying to stop him from getting a suspension.

but that was before the basement.

------------------

finney and robins personalities clashed with eachother in the most perfect way possible. robins extroverted nature rubbed off onto finneys introversion, and vice versa. the were able to fit perfectly with whatever the other person wanted to do, and always managed to find an interest in it. neither of them were 'just extroverts' or 'full introverts', they were a little bit of both.

but that was before the basement.

------------------

nearly no one except his sister remembered a time when finney blake showed even the tiniest hint of extroversion. he barely showed up to school, and when he did, he made the most effort not to talk to anyone and to avoid any contact with people. rumour has it one time, someone accidentally brushed against his shoulder and he had a full-on panic attack. he was probably the most introverted person in the entirety of north denver.

this was thanks to the basement.

------------------

robin arellano, as i said before, was finneys source of whatever small bit of extroversion he showed. robin was the fuel for that, thanks to his ability to bring finney out of, or even expand, his comfort zone. whether it be the two of them having fun at the arcade, or helping finney practice his baseball, he always managed to make finney feel comfortable with being an extrovert.

that was before the basement.

-------------------

after finney came out of the grabbers basement, he was never the same. no one really knew exactly what it was that was fuelling finneys intensely introverted wellbeing, but finney did. it was a billion things really. the grief from the loss of his best friend. the trauma from what he had suffered in the basement. the survivors guilt he would carry with him for the rest of his life. all this was enough to make him shut his sister out of his life, nearly completely isolate himself from the world, and make him suicidal. finney had scars covering up and down both his arms and legs from self-harm, and all he wanted was to be with robin again.

so he took his gun to the basement with him, and he locked the door, remembering the soundproofing that the grabber had installed.

here have some angst yall. im so tired rn, sorry if this one is a bit shitty, i stayed up until 4am to watch the sidemen football and i havent slept properly in months anyways so yea. hope everyone is feeling amazing! pls consider voting/commenting/leaving suggestions! or check out my story 'somewhere only we know', its a rinney ff! luv yall <333