home run

ages - 15

robins pov

i was watching finneys baseball game with gwen and donna, it was his fifth game of the season, and i had so far managed to show up to every one. he was playing against the other north denver team, and at the moment he was pitching.

i looked over to who he was pitching to. it was bruce yamada, a kid from our school. he was one of the popular kids, and always had at least two girls drooling over him. jesus, what an asshole.

finney threw the ball. 'strike one!' the umpire called out. the backstop (help idk anything abt baseball) threw the ball back to finney and he caught it in his glove. he fixed his stance, and got ready to pitch again. he threw the ball again. 'strike two!' the umpire said. nice job finn, just one more strike, i thought.

finney was passed the ball again, and got ready for one last pitch. if he struck out bruce one more time, the game was his. he got into stance, and got ready to throw once more. gwen, donna and i watched as he threw the ball, until-

'home run!' the umpire yelled, as bruce made his way around the diamond, nodding at finney while he ran. finney just looked down, kicking at the ground. i couldnt blame him, but i knew i would try to cheer him up.

the umpire blew the whistle marking the end of the game, and both teams shook hands. gwen, donna and i all got up and ran over to finney, tackling him with hugs. 'great playing finney!' donna said, smiling. 'nice throwing kid' gwen said, punching his arm gently. 'you did so good out there finn!' i said, smiling at him.

'i mean, yea but we lost the game.' he replied, not looking up from the ground. 'eh, its just a game finney.' gwen said, grabbing his hand. he yanked it away, looking up at her. 'its not just a game gwen! it actually has a goddamn purpose!' he yelled at her, before stomping away.

gwen stood there, tears in her eyes threatening to spill down her face. donna hugged her, and i put my hand on her back, moving it up and down to calm her. 'im sorry gwenny, are you ok?' i asked her, looking at her pink face. she nodded slowly, still hugging donna. 'im gonna go talk to him, we'll meet you guys back at your house?' i asked. 'yea, see you there robin.' donna replied, rubbing her hand on gwens back.

i ran to catch up with finney, who had walked quite a far distance from us. 'hey finney, what the hell man? whyd you snap at gwen, she didnt do anything wrong!' i said, walking behind him. 'she said the game didnt matter!' he said, not looking back at me, with anger lacing his voice.

'well, she didnt know it mattered so much to you! its not like she meant to piss you off' i replied, speeding up to walk beside him now. 'well, she did!' he said, still not looking at me. 'finney, i feel like gwens not what youre pissed about' i said, looking at him for a reaction.

he stopped walking, and turned to me. 'its just, matty and buzz cornered me yesterday by the grab 'n' go, and started beating me up, calling me a faggot and saying that you were only with me so you could have more reasons to beat people up.' i just stared at him, mouth open in shock.

'finney, you know thats not true. i promise you, i love you, mi amor.' i said, my voice shaking. 'i know, but they wouldnt stop saying it. over and over, while they beat me up more and more.' he said, tears running down his face. he looked down, ashamed.

i brought my hand up to his chin, lifting his face up, and pressed my lips onto his. he stopped shaking, and cupped my cheek in his hand. we kept kissing for a minute or two, before i pulled back, smiling at him. 'do you wanna go get an ice cream, mi amor?' i said, softly. 'yea' he replied, drying his face with his hand.

i held his hand, and we started walking. 'oh and robin?' he said. 'mhm?' i said, looking at him. 'i love you too.' he said, before kissing me on the cheek.