6.

Los Angeles, California
1994
*excuse any mistakes*

Samirah Williams| late July
    Today was my going away party. I didn't know how to feel about it. It was a series of mixed emotions.
   Although, I was happy to be finally starting a real life of my own as adult. There was a part of me that felt bittersweet, at the fact that this validates as my final moments of my childhood.

I was accepted into NYU. When I first found out the news, of course I was ecstatic. But now, reality was setting in. I could already feel the home-sick feeling I was gonna get from being away from those I've become accustomed to.

Pulling up my black seamless dress to its full length, it fitted perfectly with my slim figure. Looking in the mirror to ensure there weren't any minor improvements.

Seeing that there weren't any, I went to my jewelry box fetching my small gold hoop earrings I latched them on. As well as my gold necklace, that was a birthday gift from last year. From yours truly, Ebony.

I decided on wearing my hair down since I don't really often do. I just got a silk press done, two days before.

   Sitting down on my bed, deciding on which shoes I'd wear. Hearing a knock at the door, I tore my eyes away from the two shoes.

  " Yeah? You can come in." Creaking the door open it revealed my mom. Deciding on my black heels I bent down to strap them on.

   " What's wrong?" I looked up at her.

   " Nothing- oop well don't you look pretty." She exclaimed, giving me a bright smile.

" Thank you." I smiled softly.

She walked fully into the room, but still standing near the door.

  " Oh, and I came to tell you everybody about to start pulling up soon, I just got off the phone with Tiffany." Having a sit next to me, she made herself comfortable.

   I mentally rolled my eyes at the mention of my aunt Tiff's soon to be arrival.

    She could be....very opinionated.

    I could see from my peripheral, my mom could sense the annoyance that radiated off of me.

   " Yeah, I know." She laughed.

   " Ma, you already know she gone be nosey, asking questions she ain't got no business asking, being shady." I huffed.

  " She know better than to do to much when it comes to you, she can do that with me but, it's not gone fly with you." her faced grimaced, with a hint of irritation.

Abruptly, the downstairs phone started to ring. Startling the both of us.

  " Alright, well I'm gone let you finish getting ready. I'll go see who that is." I just nodded in response.

  Getting up from my bed, exiting out she closed my bedroom door.

  Getting up from the bed I went over to my body mirror, taking in my appearance once more.

" Sam!"

  " Yeah!?"

No answer.