First Date

We stayed silent during the ride, she kept on tapping her leg and scratching her phone cover until it was worn out.

As we stopped she opened the door to get out before I could play my role as her date and open it for her, I tried to act normal but all of her uneasiness seemed to make me the same.

Two men with suits led us to the only table in the place, scented candles and rose petals were almost everywhere, as we sat next to each other my heart flattered looking at her delicate features.

They left shortly after that, and we were left alone. To our awkward selves.

"Aeri..." I started in hope to start some sort of conversation.

"Dad told me that you asked for another date, but he insisted that you didn't ask for the marriage." She said.

"Ahh... That." I started to scratch the back of my neck, that was not true. I asked for the marriage but told my parents to not mention me.

"Am sorry for acting all stupid. Am sure you don't want it too... Right?"

"Not sure about that." I chuckled and she blushed.

"I thought you only wanted to date. Marriage is something else." She stated.

"True, but I don't mind getting married. Do you?"

"You want a honest answer. I do mind." She said and raised a hand for the waitress who came running. "Two glances of red wine."

I smiled at how suddenly the tense air seemed to fade, red wine was served for us and we drank in silence.

"Why do you mind marriage?" I started.

"Am not against it. Am just young, and am afraid that it will clash with my routine and friends... And am afraid you will be expecting something from me."

"Am not expecting anything, Lee Aeri." I said and she smiled.

"Mina will hate me for this." She said.

"Mina... I will talk things out with her. Don't worry." I said.

She chuckled and took another sip, her lips turning slightly pinkish, her cheeks as well.

"are you on a holiday? I don't see you working." She said, her voice a bit dreamy as she started to drink her third glacé of wine.

"I work in USA, Did I mention am a doctor?" I smiled, tucking her hair behind her years, she flinched at first but allowed me whatsoever.

"Am not sure." She said turning away from me. I took the glass from her hand and she pouted while trying to catch it.

"I want to talk to you while you're sober." I said and pointed at them, a young man came and took them away from us.

"you just got yourself a minus." She said.

"you think so." I laughed and she rolled her eyes.

"Just to make things clear. Am not leaving Korea to be with you." She said suddenly while they brought the plates.

"who said that you should leave? Did I?" I said and she smiled at me. "Do I have a plus now?"

This made her laugh, she shook he'd head a no while taking her fork and knife, we ate, and talked. She didn't talk much.

I did most of it, I told her about how I had to study for a long time to get my degree and that mum and dad don't like it at all.

"At least you studied what you want." she pointed.

"How about you?"

"I didn't study what I wanted at that time. But I think dad made the right decision by getting me into management." She said while chewing and covering her mouth with her hand.

"What did you want?"

"Chemical Engineering." She said while cutting her chicken into smaller pieces.

"I can promise you something... After we get married I will get you a tutor for that."

She stopped from cutting and turned to look at me. "No. I said I don't want this marriage to clash with my routine."

"Am sorry I forgot about that." I said taking a bite.

After we finished and they took the plates she placed her hand atop mine and squeezed it. "Thank you." She said. Before I could interwin our finger she already removed her hand.

Her leg was no longer restless.

I smiled. She did too.