chapter#22

Barking an order to Black over phone , he leaned back his head against the chair and breathed out.

His body was stiff from sitting and reading documents after documents on their new clients. Him being second in charge , he had to look over the big boys working under the Men Of Steel corporation but then again. .these stubborn asses didn't match to the one sitting at home.

His lips tugged up in a small smile and—

His phone begin to vibrate.

Sitting straight up, he frowned noticing the name flashing on the screen.

He picked the call right away.

"Yeah?"

"You know what day it is right?" A chirpy voice asked.

"Yup. Monday."

She groaned. "No , halfwit! It's her birthday and knowing you...I knew you didn't even wished her so I ordered a cake and said it's from you. Well, the cake has a card that clearly states from Jonathan." She sing sang.

And he dropped his head in his hand.

"Thanks , Daisy."

I'm going to pay heavily for your act of kindness, he added in his heart.

She chatted for a while and then hung up.

Creating a new headache for him.

××××××××××

Jennifer gave up.

Sitting on the cold floor , she eyed the innocent two layered chocolate cake that laid on the table in front of her since two hours. She had been so happy when she got the cake . .a tendril of hope had resurfaced in her heart when she read the little card attached to the package.

Happy birthday , Love

Jonathan~

So he remembered! She had desperately hope and in her joy , she had baked his favorite pizza and . .it too sat sadly beside the cake. She had then gone to take shower and had her best dress on but the the clock kept ticking away. .

Hour after hour. .

Until it wrenched all the hope from her heart . The day had passed away and it wasn't any ordinary day. It had been her birthday, she had wanted to see him . .but she couldn't even see him at the end of it. .

1: 00 AM

The hurt was too much to handle this time.

That absolute cruel man was busy God knew doing what and he didn't bother calling her. Her eyes and head felt heavy from the entire episode and leaning against the couch, she shut her eyes close for a few minutes or may be an hour?

But right in the middle of a hazy sleep, she heard his familiar footsteps but damn tired she didn't stir.

Jonathan entered the room and his gaze searched for her in a rushed manner finally finding her on the floor , asleep. A deep regret filled his heart to the brim and he eyed the bouquet of red flowers some day she had injured her hands for him. Slowly , without making noise , he walked towards her and placed the bouquet on the table.

Searching her face , he could tell right away she had cried. Sighing , he sat on his knees . Jonathan couldn't help but stare at the diamond on her ring finger and before he could stop himself . .he had reached out and gently touched her lashes.

"Jen?"

She didn't respond.

And then he gently pat her cheek ,"Jen, wake up. Sweetheart?"