Grief

Y/N POV

Soon after dinner, Peter left. Leaving me and Lucy on the couch watching 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

"Is this supposed to be a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?" Lucy asks rubbing her head.

"I think it's supposed to be a movie for both. I don't mind watching it anytime during the year" I respond to her. Since October was right around the corner we were gonna go decor and costume shopping tomorrow. Lucy's phone dings meaning she got a message.

"Turn it to channel 2, NOW". I quickly grab the remote switching the channel.

It's a breaking news report. TK has been killed. I start to have an anxiety attack. Lucy starts to rub my back. I'm almost choking on my spit. When Peter bursts back threw the door.

"Aren't you supposed to be back at your hotel" Lucy seems to speak for me?

"I heard the news on the radio," Peter says quickly coming to my side. I hear the tv in the background, saying they've been dead for about an hour, and another one of the band members I didn't know found them.

Peter pulls me into his arms. He starts rocking me back and forth like I'm a child. I have my face in his chest. I'm ugly crying at this point. Lucy puts a rag in my hand so I can wipe my face. When I finally lift my face I can see the other two. Lucy seems broken. She knew TK for only about a year, she was a senior when they transferred in. But TK helped Lucy a lot, they were one of her best supporters. Peter had tears streaming down his cheeks. TK was his band member, almost like a sibling to him. Everyone was hurting.

I feel guilty that my and TK's last conversation was an argument. I wish things were different. I wish I got to say sorry.

~Mini Time Skip~

Peter spent the night with us. Mainly because his hotel room was the center of an investigation. I overheard him on the phone with the other band members they were going to disband the group because it wouldn't be the same without TK. It hurt me a lot hearing it. I knew that band meant a lot to TK. It was what got him out of this shitty small town. I and Lucy both called out of work for the next week for mourning. Mable sent me a simple flower arrangement full of TK's favorite flowers, which were green Calla Lilies. Mable loved TK, they were one of her best workers. As I gently rub the petals I can hear TK's voice in the back of my head telling me they aren't Lilies and are more closely related to jack-in-the-pulpits.

My phone buzzes and I quickly pull it out. It's an unknown number, and the message reads like this:

~

Hello Y/N. I'm not sure if you remember me but this is TK's mother, Cherry. We know how close you were to TK and would like to know if you would help with the funeral planning. We would love to have you here. We know how close you and TK were. Please consider my offer.

~

A tear tries to escape my eye but I quickly wipe it away. I got to the kitchen and start a pot of coffee for everyone. It's gonna be a long day. I know my guilt is gonna eat me from the inside out. Losing some hurts like a bitch. I never thought that I would lose TK so early in life. Ya know I expected them to get super famous and overdose like so many celebrities if they didn't die of natural causes.

Lucy drags herself into the kitchen for the promise of coffee. Her makeup was completely ruined and still on her face. Like she cried and then passed out, which is probably what happened.

"Lu, your face rn reminds me of when you used to party all the time," she lets out a faint chuckle when I say that.

"That life feels so foreign now," she says as she messes with the sleeve of her sweatshirt.

Peter finally drags his ass into the kitchen. He slept on the couch last night. He pouted when I forced him to sleep there. He kept complaining that he wanted to sleep with me.

"Good morning sleeping beauty" I yell to him and I just get a grunt in response. I pour the coffee and put the creamer and sugar out on the table. Surprisingly Peter likes his coffee sweet. I thought he would drink it black, with those Red Marlboro he likes so much.

We sit in silence for a while, all of us drinking coffee. The air filled with dread. It was almost crushing. Even Peter's usual mean facade is broken with sadness washed over him.

I clear my throat "Cherry, TK's mom, Wants my help planning the funeral." I say rubbing my arm. Peter looks at me, but the slight hint of jealousy is still there. "Peter, please respect the dead," I say putting my cup down slightly harder than necessary, spilling the coffee in it. "Fuck" I say aggravated. I quickly get up and make my way to grab a dishrag. Once I reach the sink before I grab the rag I grip the countertop. Why is everything so confusing right now? I quickly snap out of my thoughts when I hear a knocking on the door. I see Lucy get up and shuffle over to the door. I go around the kitchen wall and see Lucy's face drop when she opens the door.

"Y/N there are cops at the door and they say they want to come and speak to us," she says turning around to face me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The police stayed here for about an hour asking us all questions. Like 'Is there anyone you think would hurt TK' and 'Where was the last place you saw TK'. The police told Peter and me we might be looked at as suspects because both of our last conversations with TK were heated arguments. He said as long as our alibies were strong and we all had the same stories, we were good. The fact I would be looked at as a suspect makes me feel terrible. We were friends for years yet I was the first person who they suspected.

After the police left I leave Lucy and Peter on the couch. I go into my room and lock myself in my room. The beige walls seem to be haunting me. Making me feel small. My eyes search my room for something to occupy my mind. My eyes land on some photos I had taped on my wall when I first moved here. One of my favorites is of me, TK and Lucy when we first all went to a concert together. I feel the tears start to wheel up in my eye. TK was in his long hair phase. At that point, all his hair was bright vibrant green, and this was when he was in his peak punk phase. In the photo, he had Liberty spikes which took us 4 hairs before the concert to do. I had streaks of neon pink throughout my hair, after hanging out with TK I had a bit of a scene phase. I still have a lot of the hair pieces, clothes, and accessories sitting in a clear tote box. Lucy was like Nu-Metal, her hair was dyed black and she had gages.

I gently take the photo off the wall. I hold the flimsy photo in my hand. The photo was about 10 years old. You could feel the age on it. It's surprising to look back at these times. TK was the only one who didn't change much, well along with Peter of course. I walk over to my dresser and place the photo on my mirror. It's giving me a chance to look at myself. My eyes look tired and I look worn out. I need more sleep.