(03) lookouts and stakeouts

There were always good things to do on Saturday nights

There were always good things to do on Saturday nights. Order your favourite take-out, curl up with your favourite book or watch a movie. There were much better things that Skylar could be doing on a Saturday night. Much better things.

And yet...she was stuck on a roof with Jason Todd. They were tailing the drug dealer Jason had told her about. Someone who she had nearly taken down at one point, but hadn't managed to put him away. The only thing that she had done was give him a scar. And now that Jason had revealed to her that the drug dealer might also be one of Scarecrow's suppliers, she had immediately said yes.

Skylar strongly regretted that.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" She looked at him. (That red helmet was a freaking eyesore.)

Jason's reply was full of snark. "It is. I tailed the guy here last week when he was picking up his shipment."

The building opposite them was an abandoned warehouse. Seriously, what was with villains and warehouses? The hideout was far too cliched. But it was just that that made it easier to find it.

"So are we gonna make a move or what? Or are we going to just sit here and enjoy the night sky?" Skylar asked sarcastically.

Jason looked at her. She could feel him rolling his eyes beneath his helmet. "We'll make a move when it's safe to make a move. Who knows when the guy's come and how many people he's gonna come with?"

"You're being smart. How are you being smart?"

"I'm always smart."

This time, Skylar rolled her eyes. "Let's just get back to work."

An hour later, she realised the waiting was pointless. The guy was not showing up. Jason wasn't budging though. If it were up to him, he'd probably stay up on the roof all night.

Wait-he wasn't actually planning that, was he?

"He's not gonna show up today, Red," Skylar told him. She stood up, stretching her arms. Across them, the warehouses showed no signs of movement. Not even her slightly enhanced senses were picking up on anything. Skylar tapped her wrist to check the time. 1:30 AM. Yeah, no one was going to show up now.