(04) very dear friends (not)

Life seemed to have slowed down its pace

Life seemed to have slowed down its pace. Or at least, Skylar felt that way.

Things seemed to grow monotonous. Though she liked being out on patrol, the guy she was chasing after with Red Hood had not made an appearance still. This automatically meant very boring stakeouts. It almost felt like a waste of time, though Skylar was not going to admit that out loud.

She could only hope that today's stakeout would be different.

And as though Jason could sense the thoughts going through her mind, he turned to look at her and she could tell that he was smirking. His obsession with smirking knew no bounds. Weirdo.

"The guy's gonna make an appearance today, you know? Don't pretend that you don't feel like it. I thought with your enhanced senses you could tell stuff like that."

"I can't predict the future, shithead. I can only hope we catch the guy today so I don't have to spend some more time with you and lose my brain cells."

"Did you even have brain cells to actually lose them?"

He laughed as though he had made a good joke. Skylar facepalmed and looked away, leaning against the railing on the roof of the building. Like typical Gotham nights, the sky was completely dark. The moon was a tiny speck, hidden behind clouds and the pollution of the city. If Skylar concentrated and focused on her eyes, she could see a more clear sky because of her enhanced senses. The headache would not be worth it though. It was better to focus on what was close by.

Instead, she closed her eyes and concentrated on the warehouse, slowly activating her enhanced hearing. It was nothing like Superman's by any chance but it had a long enough range that she could still hear what was going on around the warehouse.

But nothing. Skylar couldn't hear anything.

The quiet silence of the night was just that. A quiet silence. Besides the scurrying of the rats and the sound of her and Jason's beating hearts, there was no other noise. Then, a quiet scurrying of feet. A rush of noise that was out of place for an abandoned warehouse. Someone was making a move tonight.

Skylar pulled back. She ignored the slight prick of pain that she felt in her ears and turned towards Jason. "We should move."

"You're right about that." Jason had his binoculars out and he was looking at the building through them. After a few moments had passed, he put them away. "You ready?"

"Always am."

*

Only later would Skylar realise that she and Jason were freakishly efficient when it came to working together. Maybe it was because they hated spending time around one another; they worked quickly, in a manner so precise and sneaky that it would make Batman envious. Hatred led to an efficient partnership in the case of Red Hood and the Watcher.

(The enemy of my enemy is...a friendlier enemy)

Shrouded by the darkness and the silence, the duo snuck into the alleyway between the two buildings. From what they had studied about the warehouse, it had three entrances. One was the boarded-up front entrance. The other was an entrance at the back. This was the entrance the drug dealer and his criminal friends were using. Not very inconspicuous of them. Sneaking in through the back entrance of an abandoned warehouse? It was like they were trying to incriminate themselves.