(00) prologue

3 YEARS PRIOR

3 YEARS PRIOR

It had been raining that day. But she had been happy; she was eighteen and her high school graduation had been a week ago. She was due to start at Gotham University in September of that year and she was currently doing a part time job at her favourite bookstore in town. The rain pounded on her umbrella, but she was happy.

Her mom was waiting for her in their apartment, ready with a photo of the feast that she had prepared for them in the celebration of her graduation. Things were good.

Until they weren't.

For in Gotham city, happiness will always be tainted by the dark and the evil that filled this city.

They lived in a relatively safer part of Gotham. Her mother came from old money, but since her family had died, she'd put it all in an inheritance for Skylar. And her dad, who had died years ago, had also left them a lot of money. They lived a comfortable, safe life. It also helped having money, because of her mom's weak heart and the hospital visits. But they were happy.

The rain did not seem to stop that day. But Skylar did not mind. She liked the rain and enjoyed it for the most part. She turned around the street, ready to walk to her apartment building. Then she froze.

There were police cars and ambulances and her building had been taped off. There was a crowd gathered there, a crowd of familiar faces that seemed to blend together.

Throwing her umbrella aside, Skylar pushed past them all and skid right under the tape. There were no officers to stop her. There were families standing inside the tape, huddled together under umbrellas held up by police officers. They were all shivering and shaking, and something told her that it was not because of the rain. She scanned the ambulances and the crowds, trying to see where her mom was. She was soaking wet and there was a huge chance that she would catch a cold now. But it didn't fucking matter.

Her mom was what mattered.

Then, Skylar saw her. Her heart dropped straight to her feet. Mom was surrounded by medics, and officers, strapped to an oxygen tank and some sort of heart monitor.

"Mom!" Skylar screamed, pushing past the officers. "Mom, no!"

'Where did this kid come from?!' 'What are you doing?!' Officers and medics were speaking things, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered.

She was at her mom's side, trying hard to keep her breathing steady. "Mom, no...don't go. Stay up! Stay with me! You can't leave me."

Her mom blinked, softly. Her breathing was haggard and fogged up the oxygen mask. "My Sky...you're getting all wet."

Skylar let out the softest of laughs, trying hard not to let her tears fall. "Mama...you say the strangest things sometimes. And don't talk, okay? The doctors are going to help you. You're going to be alright. You have to be."