Treasure Temple

Jaymes

The main town on the fifth floor is named Karluin. Just like its surroundings, it's a city in ruins...or actually the other way around is more accurate. Ruins that house a city are more like it. Unlike Rovia, which went from a dusty canyon town to a watery river town, Karluin is the same old dusty, dry stone town with a leather and canvas tent here and there. There isn't a visible boundary between the town and the wild, so if it weren't for the notice on the player's HUD, they wouldn't know where the safe zone began and ended. If it weren't for the NPCs who keep the town relatively clean, it would be absolutely horrible living in this darkened land.

That's how Jaymes sees it, at least.

In the beta, people tried marking the boundary with boxes, but discarded objects were treated as abandoned items. When Asuna questioned it, Kirito said that the eroding blocks lying everywhere could suffice. Given they look just like the walls, it might not draw one's attention. It barely drew Jaymes'.

After walking through the town, the five split into three; Asuna and Kirito went one way, Mito went her way, and Koharu trailed Jaymes. Jaymes originally was going to head with Kirito and Asuna to eat, but Koharu isn't hungry. So Plan B will be enacted while they're alone. Koharu trails a step behind him, her curiosity getting the better of her as they pass shops, players, and NPCs. She's enjoying herself despite the suspicious surroundings.

He wonders if she has a shred of self-preservation in her mind. He previously learned she hasn't been around a boy unrelated to her before, so she's never had a boyfriend or a close male friend. Naturally, a girl should be on edge with a guy in this environment. If Asuna was with him, she'd probably hold the hilt of her rapier against his back, and there's no telling if she's doing that now to Kirito. No, she trusts Kirito just as Koharu trusts him.

As they get closer to their destination, Koharu picks up the pace. "So where are we going exactly?"

Jaymes points to a looming structure in the distance, "Well, I think my beta knowledge of Karluin is still useful, so we're going to one of the ruined temples here."

"Huh? But...without Kirito and the others? Why?"

Jaymes swipes his hand in the air to bring up his menu. "What, you think we need them with us? Relax, we're not doing anything especially dangerous. I bet Kirito and Asuna will do the same in a bit, and Mito did so last night. We're simply going on a treasure hunt."

That piques Koharu's interest. "Treasure hunt? So we have to look around the ruins for hidden treasure, right?"

"Mhm. There's an actual quest for this, but I rather do this freely. Here." Jaymes holds in his hand two slices of blueberry tart. A crispy brown crust is topped with a thick layer of custard, and on top of that are the bluest blue berries he's ever seen. Hence the name "blue-blueberry tart," a limited-supply dessert Jaymes picked up before their adventures in the morning. Only thirty are made in a day, and with little information about them, he was quick to snag the first order.

"A blueberry tart? I told you I wasn't hungry. I actually meant it."

"Eat it." Egging her on, Koharu sighs and consumes the tart in a couple of bites. Jaymes eats it alongside her, then waits until what he's looking for appears. "How is it?"

Koharu's attitude is higher than it previously was. "It's both sweet and sour. It's good. My tongue would probably be blue now if this were real life." She sticks her tongue out playfully. Hers is blue as a blueberry. Jaymes pokes his out too. "Wow, this is cool. We'd probably look odd if other people were around."