New Year's Gamble: The Knight Returns

Jaymes, moments ago

When he initially saw the ghost's identity, Jaymes was stunned. The knight stayed behind on the first floor the last time he saw Diavel. However, Diavel kept watch over the frontier group; a statement that annoyed Klein, who lashed back that it was Diavel stepping away that created the ALS, the DKB, and the volatile link between them.

"Lind and Kibaou... They both tried to take leadership, but instead of helping each other out, but just held each other back. Even though my guild is small, I know that everybody wants to be on top. But...this isn't a normal game. Jaymes, Koharu, and their group tried desperately to help, but they're just arguing. It won't be long before something irreparable happens."

"Exactly. That's why I came back to the front."

"Then why didn't you come out?" Jaymes asks. "You could mobilize plenty of people. Why did you remain in hiding?"

"It'd be quite disgraceful for someone who's called himself a knight and a leader to be grinding levels behind everyone's backs."

"You won't fool us with an answer like that," Jaymes counters, pointing at the armor plates underneath Diavel's cloak. "Visually, it looks like the same light armor from the first floor, but you've leveled it up nicely. And your weapon, too. You continued leveling on the first floor so you could come back anytime. Am I right?"

Diavel smirks as he traces his finger along the edge of his cup. "The leveling part is true. The motive...isn't as beautiful."

Klein shakes his head. "So why act like a ghost? It's childish to make a ghost story to scare everybody."

"The sneaking around was just a by-product. I came to this floor to get information from an old friend. He's in ALS, but only the leaders are allowed to know that information. It'd be bad if people found out he told me. Other players had seen me. So I hid and he covered our tracks. To think I'd become a ghost..."

"Then you were just hiding?" Jaymes sighs and rubs his temples. "You don't have any equipment that makes you invisible?"

"I wouldn't have to hide from people if I had such an item. Because of that rumor, players have been avoiding the cemetery, making solo hunting much easier."

"I doubt you met with Kibaou, then. You two didn't seem like old friends back then."

"No, it wasn't him, and I couldn't go to Lind... I wanted lots of players to work together and get strong. Just never expected such strife and division." And most certainly, a group of players who look to make murder a part of the game. Jaymes keeps that to himself. "Of course, I've got no right to badmouth them since I disappeared on my own. But I want to take responsibility."

Jaymes relaxes, seeing that Diavel is sincere in his motive to return to the front. As the more current reason, he has his suspicion Diavel knows something only Jaymes' group, the PKers, and ALS might know about. "Does that have something to do with the information you received from your friend?"

"Sorry, can't talk about it now. Still, there's a huge reward for whoever takes down the fifth-floor boss. Regardless if ALS or DKB gets it, it's sure to ruin their relationship. And in the worst case scenario, a war might even break out."

"I already know of it; The Guild Flag is the reward for the... Oh, that explains everything."

"Explains what?" Klein inquires.