A Sudden Change of Plans

Kirito

"...So sleepy...so tired...so hungry..."

"I think this is the second time we've agreed on something, Asuna."

Kirito smiles slightly as Jaymes and Asuna, usually at odds with each other, slide down together against the pillar at the gate of Stachion. Tonight had been an ordeal for the five players, one they'd wish not to relive anytime soon.

In his battle with Morte, Kirito dismembered his opponent at the left elbow, taking away usage of the throwing picks. Afterward, Kirito attacked Morte with the thrusting sword skill Rage Spike and struck Morte in the heart accidentally. Because Kirito had not removed his sword from Morte, the cloaked man suffered continuous piercing damage beyond what he should have, almost killing Morte.

His partner saved his life by shouting so loud that Kirito removed his sword from Morte, throwing his dagger, then a smoke bomb to escape. He also called Morte "Mamoru", which was weird but bypassed their minds. After Kirito apologized and the pair affirmed their partnership again, they collected the attacker's dropped items - Joe's dagger, Morte's remaining pick, and his axe - and graciously gave them to a snatching monkey mob called a Muriqui Snatcher.

When Joe screeched, he summoned a swarm of them. Whether intentional or not, the Snatchers and their companions, club-carrying Muriqui Brawlers and Muriqui Nut Throwers, were close to the carriage. Most lingered in the tree, making a ruckus of noise, but three Snatchers and a Brawler inspected the carriage. While the Snatchers collected the rest of Cylon's drops, Asuna and Kirito threw the pick and dagger (Morte recollected his axe with Quick Change, as it was still registered in his ownership) to a Snatcher.

Asuna realized the method Kirito was using was similar to how they got her rapier back in the catacombs and suggested they eliminate the monkeys. Kirito was wary of fighting the sixteen monkeys, but then Jaymes and Koharu reappeared from down the road. The four made easy work of the monkeys, collecting all the drops the three Snatchers took.

Before they headed back to town, the large NPC man returned and completely ignored them as if he hadn't helped his dead master capture them. He didn't acknowledge Cylon either. He returned to the cart and resumed his trip to Stachion.

Mito was only a few minutes away in the direction of Stachion. After Koharu messaged her that she and Jaymes were safe, she turned tail. She reunited with them as the large man took off, enveloping Asuna with hugs and apologies. Like she and Koharu did to the boys, Asuna lets Mito off easily. The quintet, however, returned to Suribus since it was closer. This brings them to now, Kirito, Mito, and Koharu staring down the collapsed Asuna and Jaymes.

"What kind of expression is that?" Asuna asks Kirito and Koharu, who are smirking like idiots who know a secret.

"Oh...just that you said the kind of thing that I'd normally say first."

"And this might be the second time you two have agreed on something."

"Ah, shove off."

"You know...I can't even bring myself to deny that slander. Let's just go to the inn..."

"Good idea." Kirito led them to the Jade and Kingfisher inn, just off the river's west bank, close to the north gate. Because it is somewhat hidden and its sign is unassuming, it is 80 percent filled. While inside, Asuna ordered the deluxe suite before Kirito could ask for two single rooms. Mito ordered a deluxe as well and prevented Jaymes from ordering as well. Kirito thought Mito would stop Asuna from rooming with Kirito again or would buy her room, but as they headed up, Mito took Koharu and Jaymes with her.