A Cursed Questline, Part One

Asuna

"And now that I've learned the basics of dueling from you, I have a duty to fight them as well."

"What?! N-no, that wasn't my point..."

"Well, I've decided! Listen up! You're not going to rush off without a word to me again, the way you did when you went searching for Argo on the fourth floor! You must be within my sight for all twenty-four hours. Is that understood?!"

"Whehh?! B-but what about when we stay at an inn...?"

"So we'll rent a two-bedroom suite like the last one. If we split the cost, it shouldn't end up being too bad. If it works for Jaymes and Koharu, it can work for us!"

"...Ah, r-right..."

"Good!"

Asuna said all those things after she and Kirito returned from the third floor. There, they upgraded their weapons at the elven camp in the woods, and she learned some tips and tricks to dueling. On their return to Stachion, they talked about their short meeting with Lind about the guild flag. The leader of DKB wanted to see the banner for himself, and Kirito reiterated the same conditions he gave Kibaou the previous night. Lind was somewhat shaken up during the meeting, understandably so - the man he looked up to and modeled fell in the battle for the guild flag.

The resulting discussion and lead up to Asuna declaring 24/7 watch on Kirito is the conclusion she came to last night - the man in the black poncho he and Jaymes encountered knew Kirito had the guild flag. Based on their hypothesis of Morte's friends, Joe the loudmouth is one of them, and he was present last night. And there might be more than those two infiltrating the ranks of the two guilds.

After lunch and arriving at a large mansion that stands tall on a hill at the back of Stachion, Asuna finds herself thinking about what she said. Since many other players were waiting to speak with the lord of the mansion, Asuna and Kirito were seated outside his chambers and served tea until their time came. Plenty of time for Asuna to wonder why she suggested keeping her eyes on Kirito at all times, including at night.

Her rationale at the moment is what she said; Kirito has a mean streak for abandoning Asuna and making her worry. The...level of partnership that Jaymes and Koharu exhibit seems to work for them, even to the extent that they share a room...and that's where Asuna's mind starts beating her brain. Like Asuna, Koharu was the one who told her partner they should share the same suite at the inns, but the black-haired dagger user took it a step further with renting one-bedroom suites for two people.

If Asuna did not trust Jaymes with Koharu - not that she'd have any right to interfere since Koharu trusts Jaymes, but let her be protective as a girl - that would be bad news. If she had no clue of the nature of their relationship, she would equate them to Liten and Shivata. Asuna knows she has nothing to fear about Koharu's safety behind closed doors, and she knows Jaymes well enough to know he wouldn't lay a curious hand on Koharu. In some regard, that is disappointing, but Asuna can't figure out why she thinks that way.

Her rational mind tells her the same of Kirito, that he's not the type to lay an incriminating hand on her. Maybe that's why she feels safe in the same living space as him...but not secure enough to lay down in close contact. How Koharu does it is impressive.

"Ah, you two are here. Should've known." Asuna looks up, seeing the fifth member of their party stroll over and waves to the pair.