Qusack

After reporting to Count Galeyon and completing the quest for the Agate Key, Jaymes and his companions were treated to various quest rewards for their choosing. Kizmel's reward was a day of downtime for the next day, January 4th. She would head to the next floor on the fifth, a day Jaymes did not want to be reminded of.

Putting his personal feelings aside, there's still much to be done before the front line reaches the labyrinth tower. If all goes well, the sixth floor's tower will be conquered on January 6th, so if they want to catch up to Lind and Kibaou, the party needs to complete the latter parts of the "Curse of Stachion" quest they left behind.

No one spoke about it during the bathing time in the basement (for some reason, Asuna was very persistent that the boys stay on one side of the bath) or during dinner in the grand hall. After dinner, everyone went their separate ways; Mito retired for the night, Kirito and Asuna were going to explore the east wing. Koharu did not decide what she wanted to do except spend private time with her partner, so they remained in the great hall.

That is what she said, but Jaymes noticed her eyes were on the flutist and lutist once again entertaining the great hall. If he recalls correctly, Koharu was a pianist in the real world when she was younger before spending her time in gymnastics. She seems to have some interest in instruments, or at least she hasn't completely removed herself from the musical world.

Music is nothing but a way to filter out the noise of other people in a library to study or to create noise in a silent room for Jaymes. It can help set the mood in a video game, like a sad song for a heart-wrenching moment or a Latin choir for facing a fantasy final boss.

But to his partner... If he tunes out the white noise of the hall, he hears her softly humming the song lutist is playing in solo. Her delicate fingers make minute movements as if she's playing the piano with them. It is a world he can't understand as intricate as she does, much like their understanding of video games.

Setting down his cup of tea, Jaymes joins his partner in her entrancement. "What song is this? It sounds familiar."

"Beethoven's 'Fur Elise.' I once played this piece in a concert. I'm not surprised it is being played. Given what you told us about books, it makes sense that the music of our world would be incorporated here. But to hear it on a string instrument is outstanding."

"I see... Have you chosen your next skill?"

Koharu pauses, suddenly being sucked out of her inner world by the subject change. "Huh? Ah, uh, no, I haven't. What about you?"

"Still saving it for a bit... You know, there is a musical skill. I think you should take it if you like music so much."

Koharu frowns in contemplation. "But... No, I shouldn't. I should only use skills that help me fight better. That's what you're doing. I don't want to lag further behind any more than I am."

"No, you should. What I choose to do with my skills is because I'm familiar with them. I choose what will help me succeed in the challenges to come as a gamer. I choose what I need to survive, what I need to make sure you survive. But... I still want to have fun as a gamer too."

"Fun?" Koharu tries to hold it back, but a sliver of a smile forms. Whether it's a jovial, teasing smile or a mask for her somberness is unreadable. "You? Fun? Hehe. You always look sour when such an idea is presented or do whatever I want to do because I ask. Or trying to make me happy. I know your priority is keeping us safe, but I've never seen you look like you're having fun."

"I...guess you're right. I don't look like I'm having fun. Who, in their right mind, would admit that in our circumstances?" Morte and his gang might be having fun in this death game and are probably the only ones who could admit it. Jaymes would never say it himself, but it is far from the truth that he hasn't had fun.