Chapter 4

Lynx's POV

I stepped out of the bathroom, my hair still dripping from my shower. The white towel was draped across my neck, hanging down over my gray shirt. My black, cotton pajama pants somehow weren't sticking to the damp skin on my legs. 

I had taken a shower after doing my nightly exercises. Hopefully I will have time to do my exercises in the morning as well, but without knowing what we're doing for the day, it might be hard to plan that out. 

I layed down on the soft bed, looking up at the ceiling. Today was a long day, huh? It took me a while to get to the Royal Manor. I ended up having to hitch a ride in some kind old lady's carriage. I tried to pay her for it, but she just kept rejecting the money. Still, I made sure to slip some money into her purse before I got out.

Of course, there was also the little "get to know each other" thing we did. The 5 people I had noticed earlier were August Reble, Eriana Quinlan, Winter Minkashi, Isla Jones, and Oliver Wylder. I could tell that Isla and August were telepaths, but I don't know anyone else's abilities. 

I closed my eyes, still thinking about the events of the day. I expected to only take a quick nap, but I must've been more tired than I thought, because it seemed like only seconds later I was waking up to a knock on the door.

It was bright out now, the rays of light seeping through the windows. I jumped off the bed and walked toward the door. I ran my hand through my hair, attempting to tame the messy bed head as I opened up the door.

Eriana was on the other side. She smiled at me. "Hi! Good morning! I was told to tell you..."

Her words faded as her eyes drifted up to the towel that was still draped around my neck, her eyebrow raised in question.

"Oops... I forgot about the towel." 

"I'll... be back in a second."

 I went over to my closet, grabbing my scarf from inside. 

I came back to the door, now with my scarf in the place of the towel. "So, you were saying?"

She looked up at me. "Hm? Oh yeah! I was told to come get you for breakfast. You ready?"

Breakfast? Somehow it hadn't occurred to me that there would be a breakfast. "Uh, sure. Do I need to bring anything?"

She answered without hesitation. "Nope! They said just come down in your pajamas. You can bring something if you want, but you don't need anything.

Just come down in pajamas? That didn't seem right. Luckily, I still had my sheaths on and slipped a few daggers into them. Eriana and I walked down to the courtyard, the place we were instructed to meet at.

As soon as we stepped outside, I knew something was wrong. From the look on Eriana's face, I could tell she felt it too.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I could see an arrow whirring toward me. I grabbed it out of the air and snapped it in half. "That was a close one. A few more inches and there might've been some blood shed."

There was a second arrow coming towards Eriana. I had only said "Watch out!" and then she threw out her hands and a force field surrounded us.

Then another arrow came at us. And another. And another. Until pretty much the only thing you could see on the other side of the force field was arrows.

A voice came over a hidden intercom, and it was loud and clear as it informed us, "As you may have noticed, you'll be working for your breakfast today."

Brooo I was listening to some rock music while writing this and it was literally amazing. Like, I was imagining the scene in my head, and there's just this battle-esque music playing in the background. Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter! Thanks for reading!