🎄Holiday Special 🎁

Cal had never been a fan of Christmas parties. They always seemed like a waste of time and money, and were ultimately never as fun as they were hyped up to be. In fact, out of every Christmas party he had ever gone to, he had never stayed around the entire time. Most parties were hosted at the castle, so he usually just holed up in his room after the mandatory greeting of the guests. 

This time, though, was different. General Langston and Cameron had thought a Christmas party would be a great idea for everyone to get to know each other a little more. And by "everyone" he meant the eight of them that had actually passed onto the 3rd round. Cameron had spent a decent amount of time organizing this little party — it was their job after all. 

For some inexplicable reason, Cameron had insisted on making this the most Christmassy Christmas party in probably all of existence. They were forcing Cal to wear what was certainly the most uncomfortable ugly sweater a person could be forced to wear — not that Cal had much choice in this whole thing, though. Unfortunately, he had to actually be at this party, participate in activities, talk with people, and exchange gifts in their pre-planned Secret Santa Cameron had organized. 

To be frank, the Secret Santa was the one thing Cal was actually looking somewhat forward to at this party. At least he would get something from it, instead of the mindless chatter and stale cookies that so often seemed to come with such a "party". And actually, he was a bit excited to see Nao's reaction at the present Cal had gotten them.

After discovering he had Nao as his Secret Santa giftee, Cal had been a bit distraught at what to get them. As it so turned out, Cal had not learned much about Nao's interests, but for some reason that not even he knew (that was a lie — Nao had bunny ears for crying out loud), Nao struck Cal as a type to like a good bunny. So that was what he got them. Well, not a bunny per se, but a stuffed one at least. Cal hated to admit it, but the little stuffed animal was quite adorable, and he had a feeling Nao would love it. Although, to be honest, Cal was a little bit worried Nao would find the bunny to be offensive; he really hoped it wouldn't offend them. 

A knock rang throughout Cal's room, and he rushed to answer the door. 

"Are you that excited that you had to run to the door?"

Just to be clear- that was not why he had rushed to the door. General Langston had told him to greet everyone at the door quickly and with a "warm smile". Cal looked down at Nao, who was wearing a sweater that seemed significantly better than the one Cal was given. He cracked a smile on his face — as the General had instructed — and offered to carry the present Nao was holding over to the tree. 

Nao looked up at Cal with an odd expression on their face and stepped around him as they talked. "Ew. Don't do that."

Cal furrowed his brows. "Do what?"

"Smile. At least not that forced one. It looks weird."

Nao set their present down carefully beneath the Christmas tree and took a seat on the floor. Not knowing what exactly to do, Cal flopped down on the couch closest to Nao. 

"You're early, by the way. No one's going to be here for at least another 10 minutes." Cal remarked, hugging the nearest pillow to his chest. 

Nao nodded, sliding a game out from under the couch. "I know. I figured you'd be all mopey in here by yourself."

Cal raised an eyebrow. "I do not mope."

Nao hummed quietly, leaning their back against the side of the couch. "Mm. You definitely mope. And brood. Probably even pout too."