Chapter 13

August's POV

"Round 3 is starting soon."

We had been having so much fun, I kind of forgot there was still one more round.

General Langston led us through the long hallway, down a twisting staircase, and stopped at the bottom.

And when I say bottom- I mean bottom. Like, this place looked like the basement. Or the batcave! I mean, it had enough technology to be the batcave. And it was probably big enough too. Oh- maybe General Langston is some kind of secret superhero or something and this is his lair! That'd be awesome! Although, I kind of doubt it. General Langston is too fancy to be a superhero. It'd probably be more likely that he was a supervillain. Like, one of those fancy psychotic ones. But then again, he's too polite for that- no matter how psychotic one can be.

"So... what is this place?" I asked, turning to face the General.

"This.." he gestured to the room around us, "is the training room."

...

General Langston had us all suit up before meeting him back at the entrance of the training room.

The suits were fairly similar to the ones we wore for Round 2, but they were also a little different. The whole thing was a dark gray color, with light green on the side of the torso. There were also gloves that looked like the same material as the suit, and a pair of black boots.

After "suiting up" I made my way over to where everyone else was gathered.

General Langston led us through a set of black double doors, into an entirely black room. The room was about 100 feet long, 100 feet wide, and 100 feet tall- which, by definition, was enormous. Right by the doors was a control panel, which Mr. Langston removed the cover from before pushing a blue button underneath it.

Right after he pushed the button, the room... transformed. A whole obstacle course - entirely white- appeared, as well as a new set of double doors at the back of the room.

The General brought us to the first stage of the obstacle course. "Your goal is to make it to the end of the course- at the other side of the room- before the timer ends. You have 30 minutes to complete the course. Sound simple enough?"

After making sure we all understood, General Langston walked into the newest set of double doors, and a few seconds passed before his voice came over the intercom.

"Are you all ready? Because your 30 minutes starts... now!"

As soon as he said "now", we all rushed off to the first stage of the obstacle course.

The first stage of the course was fairly easy- there was a small tile floor with a black and white checker pattern. All of the white tiles were sinking tiles, which pretty much only made you loose your balance for a second or two before you steadied yourself again.

The second stage was a little harder- this time, the floor was made of quicksand. Winter made a lair of ice over top of the quicksand, which held up long enough for Winter and I to make it across before the quicksand consumed it.

We were just behind the others as we made our way to the third and final stage- a.... Wall?

At least, that's what it seemed to be. Like, really?! Couldn't think of anything better than a wall?!

We soon learned that it wasn't- however it may appear- just a wall.

General Langston's voice came over the intercom again, a smirk almost visible in the tone of his voice. "The final stage is... a bit tricky. Good luck."

The room around us transformed into maze, with where we were standing as the starting point.

"Oh no. This is going to be hard."

In case you didn't see my announcement, I posted this today (Sunday) instead of yesterday (Saturday) because I was busy working at a cheer comp on Saturday.

Sorry the chapter is a little short, but did you like it?

Also, I, unfortunately, will not be updating The Wizards of Myst until January due to my brother's robotics competition and my vacation. I will post a message on my MB if anything changes.

See you guys in the new year!