Kit

I packed my things. I needed to get away for a bit. I sat down, emailed the school admissions on a leave of absence for about a week and started packing my things. I was looking for flights back to my hometown when I heard a knock on the door.

I went to open it, and there stood Beam. "We need to talk"

"Nothing to talk about Beam."

"Don't be stubborn Kit. Please, let's have a conversation."

I sighed deeply. I beckoned Beam in. I made him his favorite iced tea whilst he settled down. It was routine. Everytime he came over, I always made him his iced tea.

I sat down next to him, silent. We were both silent for a long while when suddenly we both went, "I'm sorry!"

We looked at each other, broke out into teary smiles and hugged each other. We have been friends for a long while. There is no way we could stay away from talking to each other. I looked at Beam who was teary and crying. I hugged him fiercely.

"I'm sorry for the words I used. I just.. I never wanted to come in between you.. which is why I kept my feelings hidden when I found out you two were dating."

"But Kit.. I could..  you are more important to me than anyone.."

"I know. But so should Ming's feelings. If Ming liked me too, then I wouldn't feel bad about you giving your feelings up but Ming loves only you. You love him. Who am I to come in between? Plus between my friend and love, my friend is more important to me. Never mind me. Did you think about badly you must have hurt Ming when you just chose to give up on your love for me? It makes you a good friend but a very lousy lover. And its not fair to him at all. Don't you agree?"

Beam kept quiet. I put my hands on his. My own tears came down fast and furious. Beam hugged me back fiercely this time.

"I'm sorry too for punching you. I got so angry when you said such things about Ming. I couldn't choose you between you and him and said some shit in a haze. But you are right. You are important and so is Ming but I couldn't give up on him. I would kill myself if I really ended up doing that.. I came here to say I'm sorry for punching you, please don't leave me but I, yes, I wouldn't give up on Ming."

I smiled at my friend. I caressed his face gently.

"And you know. You should apologise to Forth. Make amends already."

"What do you mean?"

"Forth.. he came storming over to my room. He wanted to know why I said such shit to you and was this close to ripping me apart. Cos I had hurt not only his junior but also you. You know he doesn't usually interfere in anything so I was really surprised this time.. you have quite an effect on him huh?"

I kept quiet.

"He's not my friend so I don't know why he did that but I'm not going to apologise or make amends. He's not important to me.."

"Kit.."

"Can we drop this already? I want to apologise to Ming. I took a week off to go home. I shall apologise to Ming then go for a break and I will be back ok?"

"There's nothing for you to apologise to Ming about. In fact if anything, he's downstairs wanting to apologise to you. He feels he didn't consider your feelings and was so unaware.."

"He's unaware so its not his fault.. don't be silly.."

Beam cracked a smile at me and we both  grabbed each other again. I ruffled his hand fondly. I followed him down, where Pha, Forth, Ming were. Ming saw me and his eyes glimmered. I shook my head softly at him and pushed Beam towards him. He grabbed Beam and both lovebirds hugged each other fiercely.

Pha ran over to me and I grabbed him in a hug, apologising for the trouble and pain I had put him through. Beam came over too. The boys smiled at me. As we broke away, I saw Forth standing by the side of his bike watching everything. But when he saw that all was good and ok, he left. Without saying a word.

I couldn't help but realise my heart took a bit of a dive then. But I know he did what he did because of the words I had said.

But it still stung.